Project Management inside AutoCAD

therock005

Is there some kind of feature or addon that i can set various tasks, and todos and workflows inside autocad? Like have a list

1. Import Points

2. Attach Block

3. Draw Grid

4. Do something else

5. etc

And then mark completion status, and even link the tasks with actions, like having the attach block with the block insert autocad function, etc.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• therock005

• tzframpton

• halam

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it's called programming. You can achieve a task, or tasks, using a script, a macro or a lisp routine. It will all depend on what you need to accomplish.

No i literaly mean a dialog that displays the todos inside AutoCAD so that i wont have to use external application. I remember this being done by a preprogrammed routine but its been years ago and i forgot the addons name.

Visit lisp guru Lee Mac's website and see for yourself the power of Autolisp.

http://lee-mac.com/

Want to draw a grid? See Lee's Draw Grid routine.

Want to import blocks? See Lee's Import Block routine.

Want to manage points? See Lee's Point Manager routine.

Want to add numerical or alphabetical text to a drawing? See Lee's Incremental Numbering Suite routine.

Need a custom program? Lee's services/talents/expertise is for hire.

Is there some kind of feature or addon that i can set various tasks, and todos and workflows inside autocad? Like have a list

1. Import Points

2. Attach Block

3. Draw Grid

4. Do something else

5. etc

And then mark completion status, and even link the tasks with actions, like having the attach block with the block insert autocad function, etc.

You can use Tool Palettes to have a list of items that are pre-programmed actions using LISP. I have done this for certain PM tasks, such as my received DWG's for XREF purposes. It's formatted on the Tool Palette as a bulleted list, and it contains tools and LISP routines that executes a custom layer manipulation script, a custom SETBYLAYER routine, a custom purge routine, adds some custom layers, a custom block editing tool, and so forth. I literally just go down the list and select the items I need to do. It's pretty basic, really, but it works very well and it's never failed me yet.

So my advice is to look into Tool Palettes to create the itemized list and edit each command to execute a block, or a systemvariable, or even call a LISP routine.

-TZ

FWIW

I sometimes use this old routine to make sort of sticky notes inside DWG format.

Its nice that if you save a note it will be prompted once you open the DWG,

Logical, it only works if you start up with lsp

;Tip1756a: MESSAGE.LSP Message Service ©2001, John R. Fair III; $50 Bonus Winner

;;; ----------------------------------------------------------

;;; Message.lsp is a program to store and retrieve ;

;;; information about a drawing. Use it to save notes to ;

;;; yourself or others, information about "odd" non-standard ;

;;; things you were asked to do to a drawing. Saves right in;

;;; the drawing, retrieve the message the next day, next week;

;;; or next year.

Knipsel.jpg

Similar to Halam's suggestion (setvar "modemacro" "Do 1st step import points") in acaddoc.lsp and like others just keep changing the modemacro as you complete the steps, just have the (setvar "modemacro" "Attach block now") as last line in your 1st lisp and so on.

Make a image etc and save it, like this code (STARTAPP "mspaint" "C:\\acadtemp\\untitled.png") pops up in front of my Autocad annoying me to do something.

Screen Shot 01-04-17 at 12.49 PM.PNG

Visit lisp guru Lee Mac's website and see for yourself the power of Autolisp.

http://lee-mac.com/

Want to draw a grid? See Lee's Draw Grid routine.

Want to import blocks? See Lee's Import Block routine.

Want to manage points? See Lee's Point Manager routine.

Want to add numerical or alphabetical text to a drawing? See Lee's Incremental Numbering Suite routine.

Need a custom program? Lee's services/talents/expertise is for hire.

Man you're not getting it. Im not looking for routines per se. First and formost i need to display a task list and mark its completion. Whether or not its items can be linked to actions and finding routines to perform them is an additional request but not the main focus (it is welcomed but not in any way mandatory). And the attach block, import points was just an example.

IT could as well say

1. Get Milk

2. Make an omellete

3. Whatever

Does lee make a routine that gets me milk?

FWIW

I sometimes use this old routine to make sort of sticky notes inside DWG format.

Its nice that if you save a note it will be prompted once you open the DWG,

Logical, it only works if you start up with lsp

;Tip1756a: MESSAGE.LSP Message Service ©2001, John R. Fair III; $50 Bonus Winner

;;; Message.lsp is a program to store and retrieve ;

;;; information about a drawing. Use it to save notes to ;

;;; yourself or others, information about "odd" non-standard ;

;;; things you were asked to do to a drawing. Saves right in;

;;; the drawing, retrieve the message the next day, next week;

;;; or next year.

Thanx Guys, dont need something harsh like this. I really do remember what i'm asking existing. It was something in a palette style format, like a side dialog where you added a tasks name, and i think it even produced gannt charts and showed timelines.

I'm not asking for someone to hire and make this or tell me how to do it. Only if you remember its name or even an exiting application out there (paid or otherwise)

You are certain there was an addon for AutoCAD you used in the past that gave you this unique capability but you can't recall it's name. Have you tried contacting anyone you worked with at that time to see if they remember what program was used? Any chance this was a custom program developed by someone who worked for the company?

I think you would benefit from "task management software". A simple search should bring up a list of programs capable of fulfilling your needs.

Not exactly task/project management software but how about this? OneNote for AutoDesk. It is described as follows...

"OneNote for Autodesk® AutoCAD® app will let you take notes alongside your drawing from within AutoCAD and these notes are backed up to the cloud and can be accessed anytime. You can see these notes the next time you open the drawing."

Edited by ReMark

Not exactly task/project management software but how about this? OneNote for AutoDesk.[/i]
For textual lists only, that looks perfect. I'm assuming you must have OneNote to begin with though?

-TZ

I don't know. Personally, I use Microsoft sticky notes to remind me of tasks to complete whether CAD related or not. My back up is old reliable (i.e. - a pen & pad). Works even when the power goes down.

You are certain there was an addon for AutoCAD you used in the past that gave you this unique capability but you can't recall it's name. Have you tried contacting anyone you worked with at that time to see if they remember what program was used? Any chance this was a custom program developed by someone who worked for the company?

I think you would benefit from "task management software". A simple search should bring up a list of programs capable of fulfilling your needs.

Not exactly task/project management software but how about this? OneNote for AutoDesk. It is described as follows...

"OneNote for Autodesk® AutoCAD® app will let you take notes alongside your drawing from within AutoCAD and these notes are backed up to the cloud and can be accessed anytime. You can see these notes the next time you open the drawing."

Haha god damn it i think you found it by accident. Not sure though if it realy is this one, but when i google one note for autodesk and i saw naviswork as the product company, i then googled naviswork and there is this software called manage. I'm not sure though if it was a previous releas and they dropped it and now do one note for autocad, since these one is focused primarily on construction management and architecture and stuff, but the environment as you can see looks kinda fmailiar to what i remember once seeing. Take a look at the bottom, plus the gannt charts. I'll have to investigate a little further, but finally this is a steer to the right direction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60280&cid=1&stc=1

5d-project-scheduling-large-1152x864.jpg

I don't know. Personally, I use Microsoft sticky notes to remind me of tasks to complete whether CAD related or not. My back up is old reliable (i.e. - a pen & pad). Works even when the power goes down.
I use a combo of both (hand written and computer inputted notes). I have a full sized note pad that many list items go on for my daily tasks and important project management items. My sticky notes on my desk serve as quick single-task reminders to take care of in the next hour/day.

I use OneNote extensively for meetings, logging, email clippings, links, logins, project items, etc. It works very well, but I have been scouring the interwebs lately for a more robust system that I will eventually invest in since I have one full time sub-contractor.

But as for the OP, I do understand the need for his request. Since I primarily use Revit, I do what he's wanting with Task Management Schedules on the startup page of each project. It works very well especially with Workshared models where you are managing multiple users.

-TZ

Haha god damn it i think you found it by accident. Not sure though if it realy is this one, but when i google one note for autodesk and i saw naviswork as the product company, i then googled naviswork and there is this software called manage. I'm not sure though if it was a previous releas and they dropped it and now do one note for autocad, since these one is focused primarily on construction management and architecture and stuff, but the environment as you can see looks kinda fmailiar to what i remember once seeing. Take a look at the bottom, plus the gannt charts. I'll have to investigate a little further, but finally this is a steer to the right direction.
Navisworks Manage was originally "Jetstream" before Autodesk bought it. The Timeliner you're seeing is Navisworks' ability to connect to Microsoft Project construction schedules for simulation. Navisworks is not an authoring software, only a viewer/model manager software. This probably isn't the program you used previously since Navisworks is its own software that does not integrate into AutoCAD other than export functions.

-TZ

I dont recall a product by the jetstream name. Naviswork was they word thar ringed a bell and moved me into searching its products. So if not navisworks, then something with the look and feel of that timeliner. So you say the timeliner is an option that connects to onenote? Does that mena with onenote installed i can get timeliner on autocad?

Because essentailly thats what i need. As you can see, you have the task name, the completion status, the planning dates and a gannt chart. Thats what i was asking all along

I dont recall a product by the jetstream name. Naviswork was they word thar ringed a bell and moved me into searching its products. So if not navisworks, then something with the look and feel of that timeliner. So you say the timeliner is an option that connects to onenote? Does that mena with onenote installed i can get timeliner on autocad?

Because essentailly thats what i need. As you can see, you have the task name, the completion status, the planning dates and a gannt chart. Thats what i was asking all along

Now that I'm thinking about it, could it have been by chance Patrick Hughes' program titled "CadTempo", which is a time analytics software for AutoCAD? See here:

http://www.cadtempo.com/

Best software I've seen like this was Eagle Point Pinnacle Workflows http://www.eaglepoint.com/what-is-pinnacle-series/pinnacle-series-workflow-resource/

We switched from using their software plugin for AutoCAD to import survey data and create Civil drawings to using Civil 3D 2010 years ago. They created a group of plugins for Civil 3D that included the ability to create Workflows that kept track of where you were and even launch commands made even complex procedures idiot-proof.

I don't know if they see the Workflow software separately.