Layer Colors For Piping Systems

RobDraw

I'm setting up a standard for coloring mechanical/HVAC pipe systems in Revit but am not having any luck in finding any sort of guideline. Yeah sure, I can go ahead and pick a bunch of colors to start, shades of red for hot water/steam systems, blues for cold, etc. and keep refining it until I'm happy but I thought there would be some sort of guideline to get me started.

Has anyone seen a layer coloring guideline for this?

We generally follow the ANSI/ASME A13.1 pipe marking standard and use the background color of the label as the color for our pipes.

One would think there would be an industry wide standard color coding system adequately documented somewhere. I'm sure if there was you would have found it by now. Short of that happening I guess you are left to your own devices much as the company I work for was. Fortunately we are pretty much used to going our own way using whatever we can find as only a guide. Good luck finding what you need.

• 6 months later...

Just in case it isn't clear. This is for coloring the pipes in a model. Not painting and putting decals on actual pipes in a plant. Do you guys use those colors for drafting? Those guidelines are quite easy to find even when searching for system colors for drafting.

For example, a simple project could have more than half a dozen different systems that contain water, each one requiring a different color.

k so what you are saying is that you could have the following and need a different color for each

potable water salt water sulfur water acid water and like you posted in your original post hot water steam etc.

That is a lot of colors to come up with.

• 3 months later...

I took a look at that and it is not even a good starting point. They don't differentiate between supply, return, recirc, etc. Also, the chosen colors have not correlation to the systems they represent, i.e. hot water is not red, cold water is not blue, etc. Sorry, but I need something a little more intelligent than just randomly assigned colors, which it seems AutoDesk did with those.

If you could get your hand on the layering scheme for AutoCAD MEP, that might prove helpful.
AutoCAD MEP has built in layering for piping systems if you use the default templates.