Save not working properly

Robert Newton

Morning guys, I am new here and have a problem some of you may have encountered. When I click enter or save the drawing gets little tiny and jumps up in the upper left corner. It does it over and over

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Newton

• ReMark

• Cad64

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you have some far flung objects in the drawing.

Can you attach a copy of the drawing to your next post so we can have a look at it? We need a .dwg file not an image file. Thanks.

Where did you go? Is the problem confined to just this one particular drawing or do you experience the same problem in other drawings?

Edited by ReMark

ReMark can you tell me what u did, what I did to cause it, how to prevent it from happening again and lastly how to correct it if it DOES happen again?

I think you just got a little disoriented. I noticed that your limits were set to something like 34'-0"x24'-0" and that 0,0,0 was way off from your geometry. By the way, when you saved your drawing why did you name it...1st Attempt 3D Model.2D dwg? It's the part in bold black that has me curious.

I fixed the drawing by reducing the limits and moving the geometry closer to 0,0,0. If it had been any worse I probably would have just WBlocked out all the good entities and saved it as a new drawing or copy/paste those entities into a new drawing and left any anomalies behind.

The first drawing was '1st attempt 3D' In attempt to get it fixed I did a save as and renamed it. Sometime when u have time you can share with me as to how to set the limits. I guess the thing that puzzled me most is why it was not saving it as I was seeing it on the screen ---- still puzzled on that, even though u told me what u did.:(

You can set the limits via the command line. I usually don't bother with the command.

Let's just say you somehow ended up working out in left field and above a Z of 0.

ReMark it is doing it again but now when I click enter or save the drawing it getting tiny and going to the bottom of the screen. Limits are still set at Zero.

ReMark it is doing it again but now when I click enter or save the drawing it getting tiny and going to the bottom of the screen. Limits are still set at Zero.

Welcome to CADTutor Robert. :)

Can you post the .dwg?

I am really confused--- I have replied twice (this being the 3rd time) and still don't see he posts anywhere --- guess they are still in cyberspace.

I don't know why this is happening with your drawing file, but if you switch to Wireframe before saving it stops this from happening. From some reason Realistic and Shaded visual styles are causing the drawing to jump around when saving.

Since I don't know why this is happening, I don't know how to stop it from happening. As a workaround, you could use a custom lisp routine like the one below that will switch to wireframe visual style, save, and then switch back to shaded visual style. Just load it and type SS at the command line to run it.

(defun c:ss ()

(command "vscurrent" "2")

(command "qsave")

(command "vscurrent" "s")

(princ)

)

By the way, all 3 of your posts are there. You may need to refresh your browser to see them.

I am really confused--- I have replied twice (this being the 3rd time) and still don't see he posts anywhere --- guess they are still in cyberspace.

Being new to the forum, your posts are subject to Moderation, which is why they might not immediately show on the forum.

Based on Cad64's observations, I tried to ZOOM Extents, as well as ZOOM All, in the Shaded visual style, and had similar results to yours.

I then changed the visual style to 2D Wireframe, which is the one I typically use when modeling, after which both of the ZOOM options produced satisfactory (meaning, as expected) results.

Sounds like Cad has got you sorted out now though, or you can just switch to 2DWireframe visual style. :beer:

2D Wireframe visual style.jpg

An extra in the dwg 1st 3d model you have a block definition way out out there on right side, Like Remark its good practice to draw at 0,0 We draw all our blocks based on 0,0 so no insertion problems, I found it by just doing a purge, but you really need to find the block causing the problem. We had a couple of real old Library blocks and the new guy found the insertion point was wrong others just moved them a bit as it was a tree block, so we moved to 0,0 and problem was fixed, we work normally in real world co-ords 279123.456,5777456.123 just to confuse.

BIGAL, There may be block on the drawing but it is not one I put there, all these years I been doing Auto Cad have never made or inserted a block, so I don't have a clue as to how to find it. Will my dwg. do better by working in those coordinates and is that the same as limits?

It was already at 0 but I changed it to 0 just to make sure. The drawing still gets little tiny toward the bottom when I do zoom extents. Thanks Cad.