Work Planes at Variable Angle?

ColinPearson

Hello folks, Happy Friday.

I've got a couple problem items I'm trying to model and I think they can be handled with one bit of help from the world. I need to make a cylinder with rectangular projections around the outside. The number and "starting" angle of these projections need to be variable. So, what I'd like to do is model my cylinder (easy), sketch a radial construction line at some angle other than 0°, 90°, 180° or 270° then dimension the angle of that radial line to be a variable number. Then I want to put a work plane normal to the curve at a point (the end point). then I want to draw my rectangle on that workplane, finish the sketch and extrude the rectangle To Next (the outside of the cylinder). Problem is, I can't seem to get the workplane to create, so I tried making an Axis along the radial construction line, but then when I change that angle dimension, I have to go into the Browser and Redefine Feature on the Axis and pick the new orientation of the radial line. Of course, once I got my rectangular projection complete at whatever starting angle, I've make a Circular Pattern to finish the part.

So, that's what I was thinking, here is my question: How can I make a workplane at some variable angle? thank y'all so much, have a great weekend!!!

For Inventor (I'm using 2016), try the "Normal to Axis through Point" from "Plane" drop down menu. Select the radial line first and then the end point, should work. Then extrude your rectangle as described. I just checked and it let me edit the sketch to change the angle and everything in the below screenshot updated okay.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60299&cid=1&stc=1

010617-01.jpg

That's exactly what I want, and the behavior I expected ConMan, but for some reason, the workplane will not attach to the end of the sketched line. Hmmm, maybe it's as simple as adding a point to the end of the line in the sketch before Finishing Sketch and creating the Workplane; I was trying to let it just pick the endpoint snap. If that doesn't work, I may post the .ipt file. Thanks!!

Hmmm... I changed my point on the end of my radial line to a Center Point type, and now if I go in to my sketch where I've got my radial line drawn to Edit Sketch, even if I don't actually make any changes, when I click Finish Sketch, it updates the location of my Workplane. that's pretty much there, but I was thinking it should update as soon as I change the Angle Dimension to my radial line. Is there some kind of auto-update/refresh kind of setting that is maybe not turned on?

Colin, at the top of the ribbon there is an update button. In 2017 it looks like a little piece of paper with a yellow/orange lighting bolt. That will update the file and move the plane and any subsequent geometry to the new angle. You can also go to the Manage tab and Rebuild All. The reason this doesn't work is a bug in 2017 from what i have gathered so far. It should update but there are some things like dimensions, equations and other edits that don't auto update.

The way i got around this was to make a Rule. Its pretty easy in this case and you can set it to change when anything changes in the model. Here is an autodesk link for how to do it.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2017/ENU/?caas=caas%2Fsfdcarticles%2Fsfdcarticles%2FInventor-Local-update-not-executed-automatically-after-parameter-changes.html