Dell 5510 and Lenovo p50s/p50

DavidBrown1212

I got some scholarship money burning a hole in my soul...

I'm going to school, and I want an ultrabook for class & CAD. Small and portable for everyday use, but I really have allot of demanding programs (Dragon, AutoDesk Suite, Design X, Solidworks, MatLab), and performance is top priority.

Dell Precision 5510 (5520 just came out with Kaby Lake and new Quadro): comes with Xeon and is nice size, but still pretty heavy. I'm worried about durability with life on the road. Definitely the most sexy machine.8)

I would also consider the XPS 15, but I've always steered towards workstations.

Lenovo P50s: I love the size and feel of this Thinkpad, but it only comes with crappy chipsets. I really want more power.

Lenovo P50: I know I would not be disappointed by this rig. An amazing line of machines has brought us to this refined but rugged machine. Its is a only a little sexier than your average grandmother, though, and heavy. The power brick is obscene. (I have a W530 it will replace)

I was really really hoping Lenovo was going to come out with a GPU equipped X1 Carbon variant at CES, but alas, it was not to be. Dell came out with a more awesome 5520, so I'm leaning that way.:geek::geek:

If you can you will want to see these in person and preferably side-by-side. I have been going through buying a new laptop and some of the screen's abilities to reproduce colors and black and white are very disappointing. This occurs within the brands so buying a Dell XPS after seeing another type of Dell doesn't guarantee it will be the same. Dell Precision is supposed to offer the highest RGB color reproduction of all laptops.

My requirement for laptops, regardless of a 15" or 17" model, is two main things before internal specs are even considered: a keyboard with a 10-key, and 1920x1080 resolution for screen real estate. The rest is pretty easy to pick, mostly based on budget and requirements.

My requirement for laptops, regardless of a 15" or 17" model, is two main things before internal specs are even considered: a keyboard with a 10-key, and 1920x1080 resolution for screen real estate. The rest is pretty easy to pick, mostly based on budget and requirements.

Its hard to find a 10 key in a 15" anymore, I like them too, but I'm generally using voice input now. I'm trying to balance great performance with portability and durability.

I'm curious if anyone has had experience with any of these machines.

Its hard to find a 10 key in a 15" anymore....
Sure you can, you just have to know which models come standard with 10-key as a 15" unit. HP ProBooks and ZBooks have a 10-key 15" option for both lines of laptops. I'm a fan of HP... just because it's all I've ever dealt with, not because it has any advantage over the other.

But obviously in your case I can most certainly see the where this need doesn't necessarily apply.

-TZ

HP ProBooks and ZBooks have a 10-key 15" option for both lines of laptops. I'm a fan of HP...

-TZ

But seriously though, in actual name brand computers. :rofl::rofl::rofl: