Importing PDF drawing

leighjones123

Hi All,

Firstly, I must confess that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to using AutoCAD. My background is marketing (specifically events) and I'm trying to migrate to AutoCAD for doing venue and stage plans. I'm quite tech savvy - just trying to get my head around everything.

I feel quite comfortable now in creating to scale drawings from scratch... but I've come up against a problem.

I've been sent a PDF schematic of a venue. I've been able to import it into AutoCAD fine - it looks great... but it's not to scale. My drawing is scaled 1:100 @ A4 and on my drawing I've got a reference to scale from - but I don't know how to do this.

Can anyone help? I've attached the PDF T Stage.pdf

Many thanks,

Leigh

Use the SCALE command and pay close attention to the command line. At some point in the process you'll see an option called Reference. That's what you want to utilize.

Hopefully you'll have points on your drawing and on the PDF that represent the same this (corners of the overall building, or adjacent buildings etc.). Let's pretend these are points A and B.

The ALIGN command will prompt you for a Target point. Click on point A on the PDF. It will then ask for a Destination point. Click on Point A on your CAD drawing.

it will again ask for a Target point. Click point B on the PDF. Click on point B on your drawing for the Destination point.

It will ask for a third Target point. Hit ENTER to tell it that you're done selecting points.

Say "Yes" to scaling.

The PDF should move and scale to match your CAD drawing.

good luck,

dJE

Scale command (like Remark said) is a good answer.

With AutoCAD 2016 you will be able to import the PDF and it will convert it to ACAD objects. After the PDF is imported type "sc" and press enter.

AutoCAD will ask you to select objects, type "all" and then press enter twice.

AutoCAD will ask you to specify a base point. Pick a sport near a known dimension.

It will then ask for a scale factor or (copy/reference), press "R" and then enter.

Pick the 2 points on that known dimension.

Then type in known dimension.

Bingo.

PDF%20to%20scale.gif

Pretty neat trick I was doing it by finding the scale factor and doing it that way but I was about a 1' off. Doing it f700es's way your only off by 3/8's at the most.