DWG conversion to SKP/IFC

halam

Hi,

The number of ways to convert to SKP seem limited. As far as i can see the most serious ones are..

- Buy Sketchup (Pro?), import DWG and save

- Automapki mesher seems to do a fair job.

http://www.automapki.com/products/automesher-application.html

What other ways to convert these do i miss here?

Why .skp..?

This picture shows some results from IFC conversion.

Is BricsCAD better at IFC conversion than AutoCAD (that can match SKP)?

skp versus ifc.jpg

Edited by halam

Well DWG isn't really meant for IFC, is it? I mean that's why they (AutoDesk) has Revit, right? AutoCAD Architecture can do it as well but I am not sure about the quality of the IFC file. There is also Tekla BIMsight. can't it use DWG as well as SKP files?

• 1 month later...

"DWG isn't really meant for IFC"

.. Why not!???

Do you think it is such a strange idea to translate PURE geometry from DWG into IFC to be used in other software. I don't

IFC can be exported from Inventor now, that is a good thing. I am finding my ways to convert .. from >.. to ...

but it's not (technical) logical all the time. In my opinion i find it mostly commercial and stategic from sw. vendors. IFC hase been treaten that same way!

I decided to buy me Automapki application and that really makes things possible. Fan of it. Here is a screenshot i made from a tranlation.

A 10 mB McLAren in skp turns into a 130 MB DWG. But can used, it is about the idea of it...

Knipsel.jpg

• 7 months later...

Update

I still don't see why not :P and don't understand people narrowing there minds to other filefoemats.

The only reason I can think of is the marketing of 'Bim software' from Autodesk as *Revit only*

Good thing Bricscad is bringing in translation to DWG.

https://blog.bricsys.com/news/bricscad-bim-v17-2-available/

Dude, I am talking about the data behind the file format not just the 3D items in the file format. Also when you quote me, quote exactly as I said it!

You put down...."DWG isn't really meant for IFC"

When I said..."Well DWG isn't really meant for IFC, is it?" That's disingenuous on your part.

I honestly don't give a **** what file format you use. I simply asked a question about the data in the IFC file coming from a dwg file because I don't know as I don't use that file format (IFC) at all.

Use whatever works for you.

halam: AutoCAD, just like any other CAD program, cannot possibly be all things to all people. If it's inability to do what you want is hampering how you work then switch to a different program and stop the whining.

Agreed. Also, one should keep in mind that AutoDesk does offer the user a very much wider range of products meeting various needs than Bricsys does. Bricsys has decided to keep its core focus relatively narrow by comparison.

Which is fine and will probably fulfill a lot of needs out there. That casework company I worked for could have switched to BricsCAD with little issue and saved money. BricsCAD Plat is currently $1220 a seat. That's a great deal for a 2D/3D application. I am pretty sure that NO ONE here would argue that.