Best Textbooks for 2016/2017

DavidBrown1212

I'm looking for the best textbook (preferably a series) that will eventually move me into rendering in AutoCAD, Revit, and PhotoShop. I am an engineering student, and I'm surprised at how little instruction is given in this field, and frankly I can move faster with a good book and YouTube tutorials. I like how a good book will build skills on one another in cumulative pattern, and provide for challenging exercises.

The online tutorials help to fill in blanks, and allow me to digress on tangents to related interests, but I need a book to organise my progress.

Google Kindle books very reasonable price I bought a series of lisp references for $8 each. The ones to get not sure, others will I am sure provide some titles. At the kindle price you can buy another one if not happy with current purchase.

• 1 year later...

I need a good textbook to use in teaching night classes.  What's a book that's got exercises in 2D and 3D, and also has exercises to help students learn Layers, Xrefs, Block, Viewports, Script files, etc.  I want  $10 book that'll let me teach topics in the order I want, but never need to pass out any handouts.  

You get what you pay for.  Personally, I doubt you'll find a "good (AutoCAD) textbook" for that price.  I get the impression this is the first time you will be teaching a class in AutoCAD.  Am I correct?  How many nights per week are the classes?  How many weeks will the class run?  How many students will be in the class?  Is this course being taught at a community college or is this an adult education class?  What handouts have you prepared so far?  Is there a course outline (i.e. - syllabus) describing the topics to be discussed and the order in which they will be covered?  Are the students expected to purchase the same book as well?  What other resources will be utilized in the class (ex. - guest lecturer, the Internet, etc.)? 

Can you spring for $20?  Check out noted AutoCAD author George Omura's ebook entitled "Mastering AutoCAD 2018 and AutoCAD LT 2018".  Any student who wants to purchase a copy of their own can do so at a reasonable price.

We have a local trade school who do Autocad training and they have spent hours creating a training manual at the real beginners level, so its copyrighted. Like Remark if your going  teach then you need to invest in at least some intro notes about the basics. As a guide a couple of manuals we created took about 1/2 day per page on average. Some recent "How to !" of 3 pages took around 3 hours using screen grabs and pasting to Word. Related to day to day work flow, its surprising how slow it is to make.

I like Remarks idea, point your students into buying someone else's legitimate training manual. My Kindles were by Reinaldo N. Togores. Addvanced Programming Techniques (AutoCAD expert's Visual LISP Book 4.

I would start with ACAD.pgp as it has a good list of basic commands cut it down and explain the most common 10 commands plus of course how to print what you have drawn.

Pretty sure I have seen an Autocad for dummys even if its outdated by a couple of years as a beginner level it will still be relevant.

Just picked up a copy yes paper! Autocad 14 1997 Users guide, full Index starts at page 755. See if you can get hold of something like this as it will give a guide to a order of training.