Blocks *invalid* in 2014 & 2016

I have a bit of a conundrum and I hope you can help...

I am trying AutoCAD 2017 on my computer, before we are upgrading the rest of our seats (most work in 2016 some in 2014). 2 of our 2014 seats and 1 of or 2016 seat experience problems with inserting blocks into drawings. It just shows *invalid* in the command line.

if I open up the same file on my computer in 2017 I can insert no problem! If I open the SAME file on my computer in 2016 I get the same *Invalid* prompt.

Our current workaround is just copy and past as a block, but I want to get to the bottom of this.

Any ideas, suggestions, theories?

TIA

Can you attach a sample block drawing for testing purposes?I have both 2017 and 2015 loaded on my CAD station.

The drawing file format for AutoCAD 2017 is exactly the same as it was for AutoCAD 2013. This is the first time I know of that AutoDesk has kept the same format for more than the usual three years.

Edited by ReMark

Thank ReMark. That totally worked! I will try it on one of the other seats to be sure

We have our CAD setup to automatically down-save to 2010 (bosses request)

What did you do? How did you get it to work? Is there a variable off somewhere?

We are not using any vertical product, just plain ol' Autocad 2d

Thanks for your help so far!!!!

That is so odd!!! Thank you!

This all just started last week. No problems before that. Does that mean we have to go though our entire block Library and purge every one of them? Urgh

Glad you didn't use black magic...that would be hard to duplicate hehe

Do you have to purge every drawing in your block library? I can't answer that. Typically before I save any drawing no matter how simple or complex I run Overkill, -Purge and Audit and finally a Zoom > Extents on it at least once. I have a recorded macro that does all that already set up to go. Run and done.

Are other blocks from the library causing you similar problems?

If you use WBLOCK from CIV3d it has an extra question about save MAP objects generally for this type of object say NO. If your using your CIV3D template to save the new blocks same thing AEC objects will be stored within the dwg even though not used.

Do like Remark suggests and purge etc. Re problem so many depending drawings on your dwg directory structure it can take 5 minutes to make a script to convert 100+ dwgs etc, open purge save next etc You will be suprised how fast this happens converting dwg's.

There is lots of shortcuts to create a list of dwg's and convert to a script as well as programs like scriptpro. Use excel or Word to create script. I am basing these comments on the fact that you will have a lott of your dwgs grouped in single directories and not scattered all over the place.

Ask here and we can help.

Time 0:0

CMD

cd my blocks directory

cd cars

dir *.dwg >dircars.txt /b

I now have a txt file with all my car blocks in it and modify it using word or excel to make a script

open car1 -purge all * n save close

time 2:30 mins

Thanks! The blocks in our library have been collected and added on over the years and we never had this problem before last week.

Just wondering how this is only in issue in 2014 and 2016 not in 2017.

An additional little nugget we get now is the files crash after trying to insert a block and getting the *invalid* message. The recover file then is damaged to the extend that it can not be opened anymore. Our solution so far....Save often :P

Bigal, I will try modifying this to meet our needs. May I enlist your help if I am not successful with it?

Even though the file format has not changed there are newer features that the older versions do not recognize. You have not stated if these problems are happening after you have saved with 2017 and then subsequently opening in an older version. Also, your bosses recommendation although well intentioned may not be so good to do. When just saving as to an older format, you are not stripping the any objects that have the newer features in them. An export would be the proper way to do it. Stop saving down to such an early version and see if that helps your problem.

I'm not sure if the crashes can be related to this. It seems a bit severe for what I am referring to.

Thanks RobDraw, I totally agree with you on the down-saving and will bring it up again with my boss.

The block I uploaded was saved last 11-30-2012 so it was not saved with 2017 version. Also not all the problem files were opened and saved with the 2017 version. Good thought though

So, the use of 2017 is probably just a happy coincidence.

File maintenance should be a part of creating any library. I always try to get rid of as much stuff as possible from every block I create right before I save. If purging and auditing is solving the problem, it would be prudent to do so to the entire library, even if 2017 is not complaining about them. BIGAL will hook you up. You're in good hands.