Autocad freezes on a regular basis

abraCADabra

I have been trying to figure out how to stop my Acad from freezing all the time. I can move something it will freeze. I try to rotate something, and it will freeze. then it wont even let me use the esc command to get out of it. the only way to kind of get out of it is I have to wait, so I can move the cursor and click on the windows task bar, then I can go in, but it still wont let me use esc. It freezes when I select something, but I can esc out of it while in the command. Im looking and looking but cant figure out whats going on!!! Anyone have any ideas? just let me know what sysvars you need and Ill respond with them. I am a monthly sub for ACAD 2k17

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abraCADabra

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• Dana W

There are many possible causes. Some of which are not AutoCAD. Post your computer specs for starters. In the mean time, try turning off hardware acceleration.

My specs are in my profile and are up to date. This just started happening a few days ago and I haven't changed anything on my system. I thought there might have been a setting that it accepted when I opened the file from another user, but I just don't know. I will try turning off hardware acceleration but wont that mess with my 3d when I use it? I do use 3D often.

Does this happen with just one drawing in particular or with all drawings?

Does this happen if you start a new drawing?

When did the problem first occur?

Do you ever receive an error message of any kind? If so, what is the exact wording of the message?

What steps have you taken thus far to troubleshoot the problem?

Do you clean up your drawings using such commands as Overkill, -Purge and Audit?

Is this a standalone workstation or a networked one?

Disabling hardware acceleration for the purposes of testing is not a big deal. Try it. What do you have to lose?

------------------

Have any/all AutoCAD 2017 service packs been installed?

Do you receive drawings from outside sources?

Do you utilize filters and/or xrefs?

Edited by ReMark

Ok. This happens in ALL drawings. It happens when I open up a new drawing. the problem started on Monday. I haven't changed any options, nor did I change any system variables. I did however run a windows update. I tried to audit drawings, purge them, and problem still persists. I do use overkill often. This is a workstation on a company network but I pay for my Autocad subscription every month and its only installed on my workstation. I disabled the hardware acceleration and it still freezes.

all I did was make a rectangle and moved/rotated it. in a new drawing, I try to rotate. then when I use F8 in conjunction within the rotate command, It freezes. it will un freeze when I click in the task bar, but will still hold onto the object. esc does not work I actually have to reset the object, then I can use esc. If I try to rotate again and use F8, it freezes again. In an existing drawing, its also the same thing. I am still trying to come up with instances that make it freeze and I will update as I find them.

I have three suggestions.

1. Roll back your system and test.

2. Make use of the feature that allows users to reset settings to defaults.

3. Try a REPAIR, which is not the same as an UNINSTALL/REINSTALL, of AutoCAD.

I got the same windows update. It had RAM filled with crap for the update and was slowing my computer down significantly . It took two reboots and 30 plus minutes of "getting windows Ready. Please don't turn off your computer." After that all was well.

Microsoft doesn't force reboot for an update any more. they just let it hit you in the head when you shut down or re-boot yourself, and again the next time it is turned back on.

Used the repair option and its still doing the same thing. I'm wondering maybe I should uninstall, and reinstall Acad? or is there some variable that I need to change? I mean I dont really use any special ribbons or anything. the only thing I do is change my system for a left handed mouse, and change screen colors and drafting options so Im not really at a loss if I do, just time spent uninstalling and reinstalling. Could my Acad have been corrupted? Have I been using too many bad words in its presence? :-)

Where to get this 2017.1.1 update and how do you check this? Mine says 2017 sp1, it that the last one?

Edit* my autocad freezes also but not that often

I'm wondering maybe I should uninstall, and reinstall Acad?
Absolutely not. Save that for when the program completely closes on error conditions leaving "recover files" almost every time you try to use it.
Could my Acad have been corrupted?
Out of the question since you already did a repair.
Have I been using too many bad words in its presence? :-)
That is a possibility, but we all do it without many issues :)

The basic issues behind AutoCad freezing up are inadequate system RAM, and/or inadequate video processor RAM.

Also. what increment is your Autosave set on? Autosave waits for an Interrupt, which is a break in system processing. Interrupts are initiated by new commands, and Autosave grabs it and runs if its time increment has been reached or exceeded. Autosave can take some time if your system specs are well below what is required by AutoCad.

Updates are available at the Autodesk website.

Answer all the questions previously asked re: AutoCAD freezing.

Please show me.

Because I don't receive any message after sending in crash reports on AutoCAD

Edit* as far as i can make up between these .1 @and .1.1 and Sp1 updates..

SP1 dated 3 jan 2017 should be the last (avoiding some significant amount of crashing)

And for this discussing the latest software version is relevant, like 2017 has some new 3d core(s)

For faster display and (I hope) stability..

Crashes are reported but is any time a freeze reported?

Edited by halam

Freezes are not reported. Answer all the questions I previously asked the OP re: any crashes/freezing you are experiencing. If you don't want to then let's just end the conversation here rather than waste people's time.