Bending a 3d object.

tonykaos

Hi all.

Forgive me if this has been asked previously and I have missed the thread...

I am a total noob to AutoCad and this forum.

So, heres what I am trying to achieve.

I am working on a design project for University. I have imported the curve of a tractrix horn (Think of a gramophone horn) generated from a calculator (TractrixCal), which is perfect. I am able to generate a 3D object from this curve, but what I want to do is bend the horn, like you would see in a gramophone horn.

Currently, the horn is straight (See image). Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 16.39.42.jpg

Sorry for being a bit of a simpleton regarding this, but this is my first autocad experience!

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Thanks ReMark.

This could be problematic as the horn dimensions are fixed due to the required cutoff frequency of the horn. :cry:

So? You have a fixed length centerline right? You can't figure out how to get a curved section in and still maintain the fixed length?

Can this be done, while maintaining the horns flare rate? The flare rate, throat diameter and pipe length are all fixed to achieve the desired cutoff frequency.

Sorry ReMark, I am a sound engineer, so all this side of things are new to me!

Doesn't look that difficult. I would draw it in two parts. The first part would be the section that looks like a question mark and the second part would be the flared horn. I'd layout the centerline of the first part then depending on the shape I wanted I would loft two or more circles one at either end at the minimum) using the centerline as a path. A down and dirty attempt using two lofted circles....

CurvedHorn1.JPG

Ok, thanks for your help. thats definitely food for thought. Its not the approach I was hoping for, but it is surely worth looking into. Cheers ReMark!