How to draw lines/polylines in a specific linetype scale everytime?

And what measures do you take to clean up these drawings?

As of now no cleanup as it is a valid drawing. I only add additional lines to it using my own layers the drawing is not having our office/industry standards.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tive29

• eldon

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like Remark the "orphaned linetypes" are created when you import dgn files, 2016+ now has an option to remove these orphaned linetypes. There was a supposed fix by Autodesk for 2014 unfortunately for me it did not work. Just google "dgn fix".

The last dgn - dwg I got I removed around 100 linetypes using purge "orphaned".

We are still using 2014 version. Even so, I need not spend time fixing as project is at its end.

To match the line-dash spacing of the line in your drawing (length 54627 units with linetype HIDDEN2), I had to set the linetype scaling at 1000.

As of now no cleanup as it is a valid drawing. I only add additional lines to it using my own layers the drawing is not having our office/industry standards.

That's wrong on so many levels (pun intended). Just converting some DGN to DWG and not cleaning it up? That's a big no-no in my book. Even DWG files we recieve can have so many errors or flaws waiting to happen in a drawing that could make your work so much harder in the process.

I would recommend to always copy/paste the content of a DWG file to your own template, and use some extensive purging and auditing before you proceed with given files.

I use a lisp to quickly clean up a drawing. Perhaps usefull for others.

(Defun C:CLEANDRAWING ()
(command "-purge" "a" "*" "n" "-purge" "z" "-purge" "r" "*" "n" "audit" "y" "-purge" "a" "*" "n")
(princ)
)

What might look like a 'valid' drawing to the eyes is a 'fatal error'-spam waiting to happen in the long run.

On the part of changing 'hundreds' of linetype scales... there is some thing called Select Similar, and it has settings so you could select lines only based on layer, color, style, etc. It would make it a lot easier to find all those linetype's to select and change it's linetypescale in the properties.

That's wrong on so many levels (pun intended). Just converting some DGN to DWG and not cleaning it up? That's a big no-no in my book. Even DWG files we recieve can have so many errors or flaws waiting to happen in a drawing that could make your work so much harder in the process.

I would recommend to always copy/paste the content of a DWG file to your own template, and use some extensive purging and auditing before you proceed with given files.

I use a lisp to quickly clean up a drawing. Perhaps usefull for others.

(Defun C:CLEANDRAWING ()
(command "-purge" "a" "*" "n" "-purge" "z" "-purge" "r" "*" "n" "audit" "y" "-purge" "a" "*" "n")
(princ)
)

What might look like a 'valid' drawing to the eyes is a 'fatal error'-spam waiting to happen in the long run.

On the part of changing 'hundreds' of linetype scales... there is some thing called Select Similar, and it has settings so you could select lines only based on layer, color, style, etc. It would make it a lot easier to find all those linetype's to select and change it's linetypescale in the properties.

I agree with you if I were the one that receive the DGN dwg, to do the proper cleanup.

As mention, Its nearing the end of project & I am adding a couple of lines only.

To put in another perspective for my scenario, lets say I have plotted 500 pages of A0 size printout & have stapled them & I realised 3 of the pages is missing 2 lines each.

Do I a) Use a pliers & pull out the staples, reprint & replace the 3 pieces of dwg, tidy them up & restaple them

or

b) use a ruler & draw the 2 lines in the 3 drawing.

I pick b

Thanks for the tip. Will study them

Well the proper way, and even in your example i would remove the staple and reprint & replace the 3 drawings.

It depends on the use of the drawing, but for official business i wouldn't draw missing lines by hand :).

Well the proper way, and even in your example i would remove the staple and reprint & replace the 3 drawings.

It depends on the use of the drawing, but for official business i wouldn't draw missing lines by hand :).

I do say need to weight the options.in my case, it does not make economical sense to dismantle the whole set When drawing 6 lines suffice.

In the past, before electronic submission to the authorities exists, we do hard copy submission. Using a razor blade scrape off drawings & using a pens to amend the drawings is part & parcel of our job. It's a norm.

To match the line-dash spacing of the line in your drawing (length 54627 units with linetype HIDDEN2), I had to set the linetype scaling at 1000.

Huh? In my attach dwg, the dash can be seen at global linetype scale 1.

Edit

You mean the object linetype scale or global linetype scale?

Huh? In my attach dwg, the dash can be seen at global linetype scale 1.

Yes, but individual linetype scale of 10. I was just proving the point that your drawing has some other scaling going on, because you had not started the drawing from scratch.

Edit

You mean the object linetype scale or global linetype scale?

It doesn't matter with one line

LTscale.jpg

Weird. Cause The drawing is from autocad created template.......

which is not the same as starting a drawing from SCRATCH.

Never mind, you have your problem sorted.

which is not the same as starting a drawing from SCRATCH.

Never mind, you have your problem sorted.

Weird. Cause The drawing is from autocad created template.

Here is how it looks on my end

Untitled2.jpg

Probably too many people worked on the drawing each with their own idea about linetype scale which created a bit of a mess as well as a headache for you. Are there no written standards at the company you work for? Everyone needs to be on the same page.

Weird. Cause The drawing is from autocad created template.....

So you keep on saying, and I am not disbelieving you. Perhaps on a rainy day you could seek out how to start a drawing from SCRATCH.

Probably too many people worked on the drawing each with their own idea about linetype scale which created a bit of a mess as well as a headache for you. Are there no written standards at the company you work for? Everyone needs to be on the same page.

In terms of what linetype scale is, not that I know of. Then again part of the dwg comes from other consultants that is combine with ours. So there you have it.

So you keep on saying, and I am not disbelieving you. Perhaps on a rainy day you could seek out how to start a drawing from SCRATCH.

The template I used came from my home computer which I don't use for work..... but I hear you. It will still be rainy now & then & I know where to turn to.

It is always a bit of a challenge to explain why AutoCAD is apparently working in different ways, so I thought that I would go back to basics.

This is the line definition of the linetype HIDDEN2 in acadiso.lin. The figures mean that there is a line of 3.175 units followed by a space of 1.5875 units.

;;

;; AutoCAD ISO Linetype Definition file

;; Version 2.0

;; Copyright © 1996 - 2004 by Autodesk, Inc.

;;

;; customized for ISO scaling

;;

*HIDDEN2,Hidden (.5x) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A, 3.175, -1.5875

If I examine the dash - space pattern of your posted line, then ignoring the two end lines, the dash length is 3175 units and the space length is 1587.5 units. This to me suggests that the linetype scaling is 1000.

Perhaps your architecture variety of AutoCAD is given some hidden scaling effects, unless AutoCAD has rewritten the linetype definitions.

Perhaps your interest has waned in the meantime.

I am keen to know more eldon. How did you get the measurements for HIDDEN2? I certainly gain a better understanding.

The file containing all the standard AutoCAD linetype definitions is called acadiso.lin (for metric linetypes), and I usually do a search in Windows to find it.

To actually measure the dashes and spaces in the drawing, I opened the drawing in DWG TrueView, which showed your line. I turned off the ObjectSnap, and zooming in, I eyeballed the required distances. This is not exact but will give me the "order" of the lengths, and do not use the first and last dashes which make up the line length. I actually measured 3183.4 for a line and 1573 for a gap. When one compares this with the linetype definition file, it is easy to see what it should be (assuming that the scaling is exactly a factor of 10).

Obviously there is another scaling factor working in your drawing and template, which may give you the line-dash pattern you are used to. But if the drawing is converted to a version that I can open up (version 2000), this extra scaling factor disappears.