How to draw lines/polylines in a specific linetype scale everytime?

To try and help you, it would be simple if you could post a drawing.

Start a new drawing from Scratch, with your chosen default settings of English (feet and inches) or Metric. Draw one line with your chosen linetype and post that drawing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tive29

• eldon

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To try and help you, it would be simple if you could post a drawing.

Start a new drawing from Scratch, with your chosen default settings of English (feet and inches) or Metric. Draw one line with your chosen linetype and post that drawing.

Attached is a drawing.

The global LTSCALE is set as 1

There is a line drawn with "HIDDEN" for linetype under layer name Layer1. This line's linetype scale is change to 10 in the properties palette, so that the hidden line is more obvious.

If I draw another line using Layer1, the linestype scale will always be 1.

Now, what keyboard command/system variable/LISP to use such that every line drawn its linestype scale will always be 10?

To repeat, I am not talking about Global LTSCALE which MUST stay as 1

Drawing1.dwg

Unfortunately, your drawing was not started from scratch. It had 13 registered applications, and even when I converted it to my version, I kept on getting ARX_ERROR on the command line.

The linetype that I saw was HIDDEN2 which is half the spacing of HIDDEN.

But I think that David Bethel has nailed it with CELTSCALE.

Or even write your own linetype definition.

You are welcome.

CECOLOR and CELTYPE have been around a long time

There are some newer CE* sysvars that I know very little about.

-David

Unfortunately, your drawing was not started from scratch. It had 13 registered applications, and even when I converted it to my version, I kept on getting ARX_ERROR on the command line.

The linetype that I saw was HIDDEN2 which is half the spacing of HIDDEN.

But I think that David Bethel has nailed it with CELTSCALE.

Or even write your own linetype definition.

That drawing I created by clicking new. So not sure why you had that error message.

Yeah, this is a case of CAD gone bad. It sounds like you got some good advice here. I was going to suggest that you use COPY or ADDSELECTED so that you wouldn't have to continuously change properties after drawing. From your description, I'd want to redo the standards from the ground up in order to create a more friendly drawing environment.

You are welcome.

CECOLOR and CELTYPE have been around a long time

There are some newer CE* sysvars that I know very little about.

-David

Thanks David. That is helpful as well.

Yeah, this is a case of CAD gone bad. It sounds like you got some good advice here. I was going to suggest that you use COPY or ADDSELECTED so that you wouldn't have to continuously change properties after drawing. From your description, I'd want to redo the standards from the ground up in order to create a more friendly drawing environment.

Yep. David understood what I was asking. But just curious, base on what David had suggested, did you or those who read my post understood my 2nd part of my query on the keyboard command or you misunderstood my query?

Cause if its due to me being not clear enough, I need to see how to correct in future.

Still, thanks to all for all the advise to me.

I and the others read your post and it's not a misunderstanding of what you are asking. No need to insult people's reading comprehension. It's just not a normal workflow. You are trying to put a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.

I thought David solved your issue. I also suggested using ADDSELECTED which is available through the right click menu when an object is selected. Did you try that or did you not understand?

Do you need help setting up a LISP or a macro? It should be quite easy. If you don't want to have to input a value, you will need one for each scale.

It looks like DDEMODES has been discontinued.

That was very easy to incorporate into a macro. Too bad as it gave access to a lot of choices in a small footprint.

You could roll you own, but that could be a bit of a challenge. -David

I and the others read your post and it's not a misunderstanding of what you are asking. No need to insult people's reading comprehension. It's just not a normal workflow. You are trying to put a Band-Aid on a gaping wound.

I thought David solved your issue. I also suggested using ADDSELECTED which is available through the right click menu when an object is selected. Did you try that or did you not understand?

Do you need help setting up a LISP or a macro? It should be quite easy. If you don't want to have to input a value, you will need one for each scale.

Apologies RobDraw & the rest. I do not mean my post above as an offense to anyone. Just wanted to know if it were the case of misunderstand due to the way I wrote.

ADDSELECTED does work, in a sense. Though If that layer is not within my view I would need to zoom out, look for that line or if i am drawing a circle & I have lines only........... it would be alot faster to set the scale right first at the very least, in this case the CELTSCALE, and any every type of entity draw will be in the correct linetype scale.

I will try on my own if I can get a macro or lisp to work. Appreciate the offer. No doubt I will need it but at this point of time perhaps it is best I stop my "pestering'

No offense if what I wrote above has offended anyone as I wrote how I felt in a straightforward manner so there is no malice whatsoever on my part.

It looks like DDEMODES has been discontinued.

That was very easy to incorporate into a macro. Too bad as it gave access to a lot of choices in a small footprint.

You could roll you own, but that could be a bit of a challenge. -David

I will try it my own first. Thanks David

What is the keyboard command? LTS only change the global scale & not the scale of the entity that is to be drawn.

I think you might want to brush up on your skills re: AutoCAD 2014. If you reread my post I was not referring to an existing command. Rather I was referring to recording a simple macro using the Action Recorder (a feature of AutoCAD 2014) to record a series of very short macros that would globally adjust the linetype scale. When using the Action Recorder AutoCAD will, by default, assign its own version of a name to the macro unless the user chooses to assign one of their own. I suggested naming each macro after the linetype scale it was setting. So, for example, if you wanted to set a linetype scale of 10 you would create the macro then name it LTS10 as this would be easy enough to remember as being Line Type Scale = 10. Now do you understand?

In post #17 you wrote the following.

There is so many different linetypes hundreds or maybe thousands in a single drawing & not having the default names but have funny weird names to it.

That seems most troubling to me. I you receiving drawings from outside companies that are being created using Microstation?

I think you might want to brush up on your skills re: AutoCAD 2014. If you reread my post I was not referring to an existing command. Rather I was referring to recording a simple macro using the Action Recorder (a feature of AutoCAD 2014) to record a series of very short macros that would globally adjust the linetype scale. When using the Action Recorder AutoCAD will, by default, assign its own version of a name to the macro unless the user chooses to assign one of their own. I suggested naming teach macro after the linetype scale it was setting. So, for example, if you wanted to set a linetype scale of 10 you would create the macro then name it LTS10 as this would be easy enough to remember as being Line Type Scale = 10. Now do you understand?

Ahhh... I see what you mean now.

In post #17 you wrote the following.

There is so many different linetypes hundreds or maybe thousands in a single drawing & not having the default names but have funny weird names to it.

That seems most troubling to me. I you receiving drawings from outside companies that are being created using Microstation?

Most likely. We use Autocad. But other consultants likely use other software. I sometimes encounter 3D polylines, lines with Z elevation at everything other then 0.....ACE objects.

Like Remark the "orphaned linetypes" are created when you import dgn files, 2016+ now has an option to remove these orphaned linetypes. There was a supposed fix by Autodesk for 2014 unfortunately for me it did not work. Just google "dgn fix".

The last dgn - dwg I got I removed around 100 linetypes using purge "orphaned".