+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Using
    MEP 2017

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDraw View Post
    There is probably a better way to do what you are trying to do. Please describe your goal and maybe we can suggest better ways.
    For most people 99% of the time, the line type scale per entity should be 1 letting the variables and annotative scaling handle the way the linetypes appear. If you need to change as often as you are saying, you are doing something wrong.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Discipline
    Architectural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    And how many different linetype scales are we talking? Three? Twelve? One hundred?
    around 9 to 10.

Discipline
    Architectural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

For most people 99% of the time, the line type scale per entity should be 1 letting the variables and annotative scaling handle the way the linetypes appear. If you need to change as often as you are saying, you are doing something wrong.
    I personally would use 1 but I have not much of a choice since the office drawing has already been setup this way.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

You could always record a macro for each linetype scale you typically use naming them by the scale factor so for example you might have macros named LTS1, LTS5, LTS10, etc. LTS = line type scale. It would take less than a minute to record and save all nine and they would be available no matter what drawing you are working on.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    MEP 2017

I'd be willing to bet that it would take much less time to fix the drawing than it will to have to adjust the linetype scale manually all the time.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

We do have a problem with some custom linetypes and find that at times we tweak them using "properties" for an individual line. LTSCALE is a global variable and changes all lines.

Only way to sort of automate it would be to use Chprop "Last" s scale but it has to be done straight after drawing the line.A macro or defun lt25 for scale 0.25
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Discipline
    Architectural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

I'd be willing to bet that it would take much less time to fix the drawing than it will to have to adjust the linetype scale manually all the time.
    There is so many different linetypes hundreds or maybe thousands in a single drawing & not having the default names but have funny weird names to it. I really do not think trying to fix the hundreds of drawing is the right approach since all I am doing is, in a sense, is lightly touching the drawing only by adding additional lines (hence prefer to have the correct linetype scale to began with so that I do not have to change those new entities after I drew them)

Discipline
    Architectural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAL View Post
    We do have a problem with some custom linetypes and find that at times we tweak them using "properties" for an individual line. LTSCALE is a global variable and changes all lines.

Only way to sort of automate it would be to use Chprop "Last" s scale but it has to be done straight after drawing the line.A macro or defun lt25 for scale 0.25
    Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    You could always record a macro for each linetype scale you typically use naming them by the scale factor so for example you might have macros named LTS1, LTS5, LTS10, etc. LTS = line type scale. It would take less than a minute to record and save all nine and they would be available no matter what drawing you are working on.

What is the keyboard command? LTS only change the global scale & not the scale of the entity that is to be drawn.

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Quote Originally Posted by tive29 View Post
    There is so many different linetypes hundreds or maybe thousands in a single drawing & not having the default names but have funny weird names to it........
    Therein lies your problem.

AutoCAD has only about 50 standard linetypes. The rest would be custom written with probably no standard as to how they scale, or possibly imported from another cad programme.

For LTScale to work consistently, you have to have all linetypes defined consistently.

Discipline
    Architectural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    Therein lies your problem.

AutoCAD has only about 50 standard linetypes. The rest would be custom written with probably no standard as to how they scale, or possibly imported from another cad programme.

For LTScale to work consistently, you have to have all linetypes defined consistently.
    I am not using their linetype or layer to draw in this existing drawing. I am not touching those.
    I am drawing additional lines to this drawing using my own single layer that has a standard autocad linetype which is "DOTTED" to draw the entities.
    To have my newly drawn dotted line using MY OWN layer to look dotted & not "continuous" due to the drawing GLOBAL LINETYPE SCALE setting (which i cannot change since it will affect the rest of the linetype).

Hence the new entities I am to draw USING MY OWN LAYER cannot be "1".

ReMark has suggested changing the linetype scale in the Properties palette BEFORE drawing the lines. WHICH WORKS.

However, alternatively all I am askingis, is there a keyboard command that i can turn it into a macro or a LISP that can activated to change the linetype scale (NOT LTSCALE) before I start drawing without opening the properties palette.