How to draw lines/polylines in a specific linetype scale everytime?

I am aware of changing the linetype scale of entities through the properties box.

But I cannot figure out how to set in a way that every line I draw will be in that specific linetype scale.

How do I do that?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tive29

• eldon

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can use the LTSCALE command to set your current linetype scale. It won't change unless you actively change it by specifying a new LTSCALE.

Be warned that there is another command which could come into play, which is PSLTSCALE, which defines the PAPER SPACE linetype scale, independently of the Model space, which will defer to the current LTSCALE setting on your machine.

Every time you draw a new line or polyline, the CURRENT LTSCALE is applied.

You can use the LTSCALE command to set your current linetype scale. It won't change unless you actively change it by specifying a new LTSCALE.

Be warned that there is another command which could come into play, which is PSLTSCALE, which defines the PAPER SPACE linetype scale, independently of the Model space, which will defer to the current LTSCALE setting on your machine.

Every time you draw a new line or polyline, the CURRENT LTSCALE is applied.

LTSCALE did not work.

I set LTSCALE as 200. I drew a polyline. The linetype scale for that line is still 1.

I use LTSCALE command before to change the gobal scale of how linetype will be viewed. But is has never allow me to change the linestype scale of the drawn entity.

What gives?

You can change the linetype scale of a single entity via the Properties palette.

Are you drawing "to scale" as one might do manually on a drafting board?

LTSCALE did not work.

I set LTSCALE as 200. I drew a polyline. The linetype scale for that line is still 1.

I use LTSCALE command before to change the gobal scale of how linetype will be viewed. But is has never allow me to change the linestype scale of the drawn entity.

What gives?

LTSCALE may not change the linetype scale of objects with individual property overrides.

If that is not the case, did you REGEN?

You can change the linetype scale of a single entity via the Properties palette.

That worked. Thanks Mr ReMark.

Alternatively, is there a keyboard command or system variable that can be entered by a lisp or macro to a specific line type scale when any drawing is open?

I personally think that would be a bad idea unless you only work on one type of drawing exclusively.

Although I work on a few different projects, I normally focus on 1 for a couple of days so the line type scale of the entities I draw will be the same for thoes few days. If switching to another projects, I just need to make a change in the lisp/system variable/macro provided if such alternatives exists

There is probably a better way to do what you are trying to do. Please describe your goal and maybe we can suggest better ways.

For most people 99% of the time, the line type scale per entity should be 1 letting the variables and annotative scaling handle the way the linetypes appear. If you need to change as often as you are saying, you are doing something wrong.

For most people 99% of the time, the line type scale per entity should be 1 letting the variables and annotative scaling handle the way the linetypes appear. If you need to change as often as you are saying, you are doing something wrong.

I personally would use 1 but I have not much of a choice since the office drawing has already been setup this way.

You could always record a macro for each linetype scale you typically use naming them by the scale factor so for example you might have macros named LTS1, LTS5, LTS10, etc. LTS = line type scale. It would take less than a minute to record and save all nine and they would be available no matter what drawing you are working on.

I'd be willing to bet that it would take much less time to fix the drawing than it will to have to adjust the linetype scale manually all the time.

We do have a problem with some custom linetypes and find that at times we tweak them using "properties" for an individual line. LTSCALE is a global variable and changes all lines.

Only way to sort of automate it would be to use Chprop "Last" s scale but it has to be done straight after drawing the line.A macro or defun lt25 for scale 0.25

I'd be willing to bet that it would take much less time to fix the drawing than it will to have to adjust the linetype scale manually all the time.

There is so many different linetypes hundreds or maybe thousands in a single drawing & not having the default names but have funny weird names to it. I really do not think trying to fix the hundreds of drawing is the right approach since all I am doing is, in a sense, is lightly touching the drawing only by adding additional lines (hence prefer to have the correct linetype scale to began with so that I do not have to change those new entities after I drew them)

We do have a problem with some custom linetypes and find that at times we tweak them using "properties" for an individual line. LTSCALE is a global variable and changes all lines.

Only way to sort of automate it would be to use Chprop "Last" s scale but it has to be done straight after drawing the line.A macro or defun lt25 for scale 0.25

You could always record a macro for each linetype scale you typically use naming them by the scale factor so for example you might have macros named LTS1, LTS5, LTS10, etc. LTS = line type scale. It would take less than a minute to record and save all nine and they would be available no matter what drawing you are working on.

What is the keyboard command? LTS only change the global scale & not the scale of the entity that is to be drawn.

There is so many different linetypes hundreds or maybe thousands in a single drawing & not having the default names but have funny weird names to it........

Therein lies your problem.

AutoCAD has only about 50 standard linetypes. The rest would be custom written with probably no standard as to how they scale, or possibly imported from another cad programme.

For LTScale to work consistently, you have to have all linetypes defined consistently.

Therein lies your problem.

AutoCAD has only about 50 standard linetypes. The rest would be custom written with probably no standard as to how they scale, or possibly imported from another cad programme.

For LTScale to work consistently, you have to have all linetypes defined consistently.

I am not using their linetype or layer to draw in this existing drawing. I am not touching those.

I am drawing additional lines to this drawing using my own single layer that has a standard autocad linetype which is "DOTTED" to draw the entities.

To have my newly drawn dotted line using MY OWN layer to look dotted & not "continuous" due to the drawing GLOBAL LINETYPE SCALE setting (which i cannot change since it will affect the rest of the linetype).

Hence the new entities I am to draw USING MY OWN LAYER cannot be "1".

ReMark has suggested changing the linetype scale in the Properties palette BEFORE drawing the lines. WHICH WORKS.

However, alternatively all I am askingis, is there a keyboard command that i can turn it into a macro or a LISP that can activated to change the linetype scale (NOT LTSCALE) before I start drawing without opening the properties palette.