3D Printing

Robert Newton

I didn't have any luck in the Auto Cad forum so I thought I would try here; the following is what I posted there:

I have 2 drawings that I am trying to get ready for printing in 3D. It seems that I can get them converted to the required STL format but am having a problem getting them repaired for printing. I am using an Autodesk 30 day trial version of NetFabb to perform the repairs but don't really have a clue what to do when I get there. Has anyone had any experience in performing these repairs; if so, if I post the files can you repair them and repost them or send them directly to the guy that is going to do the printing? If you are familiar you already know that the repair does not have to be NetFabb, (your choice)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Newton

• shift1313

• ReMark

• SLW210

What repairs? There aren't typically repairs and netfabb is a professional and complicated software. Once you save an stl you should be good to go.

If you need to work with the file after stl conversion try meshlab which is also integrated into Fusion 360

Oh, Ok Mark. Thanks Shift, The guy that has the 3D printer says the STL file has holes in it but he doesn't have the autocad experience to fix the problem.

The inner vessel was made up of a solid and an open surface that needed to be patched. it was the little bump on the bottom. Also t his piece has a very thin wall that likely won't print well. It has a diameter of 82mm or so and a wall thickness of 0.35mm. I've looked up the wombat printer and it looks like they can use a 0.2 or 0.3mm tip but you would have a single layer. It wont be able to build the Inner vessel at the tip without a lot of support material. Even then a single layer of filament will be very flimsy if it can even build.

Use this link and from the top right you can download the file as an STL

http://a360.co/2jXJHD5

The Bottom Housing was the same deal. Relatively large part with a really thin wall. Not well suited for 3d printing.

Use this link to download the bottom housing as an STL

http://a360.co/2jXKnZ9

note, you can download in many different file types including dwg if you want better control over the STL resolution. With walls this thin you might need a 1deg deviation tolerance on the save file.

Stl files are made up of a bunch of polygons or flat faces. When you ssve you can control the max angle between touching faces. Default is usually 20degrees. 1-3deg is very fine and used for high curvature models. Its a balance between file size, detail and printer accuracy.

You cant on my download. Typically there is an "options" button once you pick Stl as the save type. Its been a long time since ive used acad so I dont know. Inventor and fusion have a 3d print button on the ribbon that lets you adjust it.

Your best guess the two files u looked at, altered and sent back do you think they will print or not if I don't change the degree of deviation?

I don't think they will print based on wall thickness. The degree will only affect how smooth the stl file is. Think of a cylinder. In stl there is no curve so you make it up basex on flats. If your cylinder is made up of 10flat faces its not nearly as smooth as if it were 20. I dont know what acad saves out as.

Are you paying for the prints? Odd the guy running the printer said he didnt know acad because any Cad software can open a dwg file. I used fusion just cause I could share the file easily but I could have used anything.

I am happy to save out a file for you. Sadly I dont have acad so I cant tell you where the save as options are for Stls. I still think wall thickness is going to be a big issue. Most desktop fdm printers use a single pass support cause ita easy to break off. Your wall thickness is only 1 pass with the smallest nozzle that printer can run.

Yes, I am paying for the prints. The guy doing the printing owns/operates a computer store and sells 3D printers and has NO auto cad experience. His software just tells him if the project/drawing is printable or not. The thing that has me buffaloed is that included in this project I am working on there are 2 other parts with the same wall thickness that these 2 we are discussing have and he said they are printable. The last thing he told me about these parts is that they have holes in them and made no mention of the wall thickness. I am anxious for the weekend to be over so I can send them what u have done and see if they will work. If not, I gotta do something else and am crossing my fingers cause I am about to the end of my options.

Just had another thought Shift: If Monday these 2 parts are still not printable maybe you can do the saving you are talking about and send them to him directly. I forgot to mention that the salesman doesn't have an auto cad program and has no means to convert a dwg to stl. He can only accept/open the stl for his printer and his software tells whether it is printable or not by clicking a few icons.