IMPORT IFC to Inventor

NiKotocad

Hi,

First, excuse-me for my english, I'm french ;)

I try to import IFC in Inventor. I know that it's not directly possible, but do you know how to do it ?

I tryed with Autocad Architecture, but the polygons made by AEC can't be transformed in 3D solids.

I tryed to export in FBX with Naviswork, then export in SAT with 3DS Max, it works, but I can't catch the solids in a IAM.

Can you help me please ?

Remark,

to import IFC and get something working some DWG wise you need one of these

- Sketchup

- BricsCAD https://www.bricsys.com/common/news.jsp?item=1606

- Revit

- none Autodesk BIM software

I still hope Autodesk will develop some more IFC functions for AutoCAD anytime soon i think.. stopped somewhere in 2010..

The extra info contained in an IFC file i believe will be lost. Are you just trying to get the solids into Inventor? When trying to import things like STL files into inventor you can go to File>Open>Import Cad Files. Lets you open STL, OBJ, SAT etc. IFC is not a supported file type. Because it is intended for the BIM industry it doesn't make sense for Autodesk to have it supported in not industry type programs. In order to get that info in Inventor you will have to actually open the IFC file in a supported program and export just the solid data.

sorry.

halam:

Did you visit the link I posted?

[ATTACH]60473[/ATTACH]

Yes ..what about that link you posted?

That indeed is what Autodesk let me read.

..IFC..it is intended for the BIM industry it doesn't make sense for Autodesk to have it supported in not industry type programs. In order to get that info in Inventor you will have to actually open the IFC file in a supported program and export just the solid data.

sorry.

I find this word *INDUSTRY DATA* annoying... (sorry maybe not the right words) Whats is that? What industry data is DWG? What kind of industry is the *STL industry*? the 3D printing industry, and the SAT is for the solids industry. Sorry, i see this different, no ofference

So, IFC is *OPEN DATA* for buildings (only?) .. Check Building Smart about ifc olso

Out there .. there can be really a big mix of data and disciplines come together in a projects. Sillo's mechanical, civil, building, electical engineering etc have to be converted. I understand this need because i too have to deal with it on many occasions..

Well certain file types are needed for certain things. I'd rather have mech Cad programs develop tools useful for designing mechanical parts. It wouldn't make sense for BIM software to develop mechanical simulation tools.

At the root and ifc file is a text file. You can open it in notepad, acrobat etc. The difference is that ifc files are ordered and sorted differently.

Example. A solidworks file can contain an embedded word document, custom properties, costing data etc. All this info in addition to the parametric feature history. Invrntor can open a solidworks file but can't get a lot of the "extra" stuff. You end up with what is called a dumb solid. File extensioms that are software specific hold value. Converting to a neutral format strips data like appearance, material and history. You can access the 3d geometry.

There are, I think, free viewers out there for ifc files but taking a bim Cad file into mechanical cad just isn't on the list of things a mechanical cad program needs.

Various file types were developed at various times in cad history. Some superceded others but programs dont remove them. If you save an inventor .ipt file to dxf format you have like 30 revisions to choose from. Same with dwg. Various years acad was able to change the way splines were handled for example. But with files there is no "out with the old". Just "stick the new one over there.

We are now seeing more cross compatibility with files like stl and obj but there will always be clear divisions. Movies and games nees low polygon models. Cad needs more accurate brep stuff. Bim needs objects classified by type rather than just pure geometry. It wants to know "this object is a wall rooted here" I believe

I agree with you.. partly... Some fileformats are more suitable to do the job than others.

But if you need to use an other data-set than your own, IFC is likely to come up

Not as your native Data but as 'reference design' IFC should be part of the possibilities to import / convert as much as possible.

So with Inventor, you can export IFC since 2015 ? but you are not able to import IFC open data to get some basic walls in (as example) from any BIM software or your flavor ?

IMO just 'the world-upside-down'. Autodesk makes very bizar moves when it comes to (open) standards if you ask me

http://budweiser.cadstudio.cz/2015/11/new-inventor-2016-r2-connected-design.html

What i think, is that Autodesk should take a example to Sketchup and BricsCAD to have build in IFC capabilities in plain CAD software, not point to 'soon to be dead' of AutoCAD was in an earlier timeframe. ACA has a very old IFC convertor way overdue not able to import/export something like reinforcement (i need).

But this is just my $$. I am very happy to work with .SAT coming from subcontractors who work with Inventor. SAT to DWG is 'solid'!

I bet you guys have a different opinion about that, but thats just fine.. :)

Edited by halam

I agree with you.. partly... Some fileformats are more suitable to do the job than others.

But if you need to use an other data-set than your own, IFC is likely to come up

Not as your native Data but as 'reference design' IFC should be part of the possibilities to import / convert as much as possible.

So with Inventor, you can export IFC since 2015 ? but you are not able to import IFC open data to get some basic walls in (as example) from any BIM software or your flavor ?

IMO just 'the world-upside-down'. Autodesk makes very bizar moves when it comes to (open) standards if you ask me

http://budweiser.cadstudio.cz/2015/11/new-inventor-2016-r2-connected-design.html

What i think, is that Autodesk should take a example to Sketchup and BricsCAD to have build in IFC capabilities in plain CAD software, not point to 'soon to be dead' of AutoCAD was in an earlier timeframe. ACA has a very old IFC convertor way overdue not able to import/export something like reinforcement (i need).

But this is just my $$. I am very happy to work with .SAT coming from subcontractors who work with Inventor. SAT to DWG is 'solid'!

I bet you guys have a different opinion about that, but thats just fine.. :)

I don't know about inventor exporting ifc. Its not an available option in 2017 Inventor Pro. There is a BIM tab and something called BIM Exchange. I dont have any IFC files so i really can't comment on that. I do know when you use the BIM exchange it gives you options about ducts, pipes and general routing type info with some design checks.

Inventor Export.png

the BIM industry is not one that i work in so i am by no means the person to make statements about it. I do however know that Solidworks allows a "save as" in 2 IFC formats.

Solidworks Export.jpg

The kicker about this i believe, and again its not my industry, while its an IFC format it doesn't have the same type of info as a true IFC file.

• 11 months later...