The "Invisible" Linetype and Arcs

eyeofnewt555

Hey guys!

So after seeing the custom invisible linetype on this thread, I decided to test it out. Works beautifully for straight lines (only displaying two dots at the very ends) but fails miserably at arcs. It looks like a single arc segment must actually be composed of multiple linear sub-segments, each of which get dots at their ends. This runs counter to behavior I've seen in other linetypes. The gas linetype in the pic flows smoothly, not jerkily restarting at every bend.

And I was hoping linetype generation was the culprit, but nope, looks the same regardless of it being enabled/disabled.

So do y'all know if there's a way to make a truly invisible linetype?

attachment.php?attachmentid=60500&cid=1&stc=1

Invisible Linetype.jpg

I'm not following. Just what is the purpose of an invisible linetype?

Oh gawd, you again. I'm gonna pretend that we haven't interacted before and just try to be all civil and polite, despite you being...you.

An invisible linetype would help in situations wherein I want Autocad to respond as though a line is there without providing visual clutter (aside from the end dots, it would be invisible both in the drawing and when plotting). Lets say I want to use lineworkshrinkwrap around several plant blocks that are near eachother, but not quite touching. Now if each of these blocks has an invisible circle drawn around it (within the block itself), offset by a little bit, this provides enough buffer for lineworkshrinkwrap to do what I want it to without cluttering up the drawing.

That is just one example of an invisible linetype's applications. It was one example more than I owe you, and the last that I'll be sharing. If you have anything productive to add, by all means please contribute. If you have half-assed workarounds and critiques of my workflow, you can move along.

Nice start. I asked for my own education because in my line of work an invisible linetype would be of no use and we would never have a need for lineworkshrinkwrap. So thanks. And yes, I can think of at least one workaround but at the risk of putting your nose out of joint I'll refrain from posting it. I hope someone here can offer up a workable solution to your dilemma.

Edited by ReMark
spelling mistake

I spent some time researching the topic of "invisible linetypes" last night and have not found a solution that specifically addresses arcs. Unless someone has access to the old Softdesk invisible linetype I don't see a solution here. Maybe it is time to consider a workaround? Up to the OP.

Why not just use a layer in a near-to-black color and set it no no-plot?

I would not be surprised if the OP has considered then discarded this idea.

BigAl and RobDraw, without going into too much detail, assume that everything I'm working with has to be on layer 0. Which for obvious reasons is not going to be turned off/frozen in any of our drawings.

Also, even if layers were the answer here, the things I'm working on are for the whole office, so they need to be as user-friendly as possible. If accomplishing what I want to accomplish requires an explanation and then extra steps on the user's end (even as small as remembering to freeze/unfreeze layers), then it's not going to be implemented.

If you have a decent work-around, I'm happy to hear. I just don't like ReMark's attitude, or really anyone's attitude if their mindset is "Well, I don't personally need that feature, therefor it's unnecessary."

Aftertouch, points for creativity and what would be a viable solution if not for these often needing to be on top of hatches, where they would end up showing. That's definitely the kind of work-around I'm open to hearing about. Thank you for the input.

Aftertouch's suggestion was the one I was thinking of yesterday but did not post since I thought you weren't in the market for a workaround but a real solution which I did go in search of but came up empty much like yourself. A long time ago I was a Softdesk user but the computer that program was loaded on went the way of the dodo and the disks along with it.

Thank you ReMark, for spending time researching this. I greatly appreciate that.

And I'm okay with hearing about workarounds--I guess it's the flippant attitude that frequently accompanies them that bothers me.

If you have a decent work-around, I'm happy to hear. I just don't like ReMark's attitude, or really anyone's attitude if their mindset is "Well, I don't personally need that feature, therefor it's unnecessary."

When you post in a public forum, people are going to say things that you don't like. Take it with a grain of salt and ignore it. Trying to fight it is only going to get you more of the same.

BigAl and RobDraw, without going into too much detail, assume that everything I'm working with has to be on layer 0. Which for obvious reasons is not going to be turned off/frozen in any of our drawings.

Also, even if layers were the answer here, the things I'm working on are for the whole office, so they need to be as user-friendly as possible. If accomplishing what I want to accomplish requires an explanation and then extra steps on the user's end (even as small as remembering to freeze/unfreeze layers), then it's not going to be implemented.

Everything said here says that the CAD environment is designed for the inept. I'm not even going to offer any suggestions as this type of CADDing gets under my skin. Simple layer management should be in everyone's wheelhouse.

• 6 years later...

I know it's an old topic, but .... Any update on this?

My use is dimensions. The arrows and lines are tied together.

If I want the arrows but no lines, I use this invisible linetype. 

My problem is when it's a small dimension and the lines are on the outside, this invisible linetype shows the 2 dots. Just little annoying dots!