Free AutoDesk software?

ReMark

Source: October 2006 issue of cadalyst magazine (pg. 54).

Start quote:

Classroom Copies

AutoDesk launched a Student Engineering and Design Community Website. Stduents now have free access to downloads of AutoDesk software at

http://students.autodesk.com

End of quote.

According to the website:

You need to have a school-issued email address from a college or university to join and take advantage of the free downloads and other site resources.

Registration is free but required as well.

All you students out there should check this out.

I've been meaning to check that out and your post jogged my memory. I just registered as a faculty member and have access to free software and various teaching materials. There is a surprising range of free software on offer. I haven't checked those out yet but I will. Naturally, Autodesk are pushing Inventor and Revit, both of which are available. However, Autodesk Civil 3D and Autodesk Electrical (both AutoCAD based products) are also available. If you are a students or faculty member, I recommend you check it out.

Currently, there is very little content of any worth but it is early days and although there isn't a forum as such, there is the facility to ask and answer questions. (not a patch on CADTutor though :wink: )

• 3 weeks later...

It's official, AutoCAD is now available FREE to university students and faculty. Signing up at http://students.autodesk.com with an authentic university email address will provide access to a download area that includes a number of Autodesk products.

I just downloaded, installed and successfully activated Autodesk Civil 3D. It's a big download, just over 2GB but it all worked without a hitch and I now have the product to use for educational purposes for 2 years.

As far as I am aware, this is the first time Autodesk have made educational software available to students for free. Up until now, AutoCAD student edition has cost just over £100 here in the UK ($200 US). Meantime, I have been able to distribute SketchUp pro to my students for free. Looks like Autodesk are learning some important lessons.

This is really good news for the education community.

• 4 years later...

http://students.autodesk.com/

I tried it seconds ago and it worked perfectly fine. Give it another shot.

Still doesn't work? Then go to the AutoDesk website, click on the Community button at the top of the page and from the drop-down list select Students and Educators. It will bring you directly there.

Start with this link...

http://usa.autodesk.com/

Honestly, I cannot tell you since I am not a student. I think another forum member, JD Mather, may be able to tell you as he is an educator and more familiar with the program.

I think you can download and start using the software immediately, but it may take a little while to process the activation code/serial number or whatever. You probably have 30 days before you "have to" activate it.

Can you log into the student website? (if you school is already in the list you should be able to log in as soon a you sign up)

All Autodesk software initially installs in 30-day trial mode (so you can also get it from the main Autodesk site and use all zeros to install).

After clicking Get Serial Number (or downloading from the student community) you should be assigned your personal serial number within 30-days (usually instantly) , then simply click Activate on the Trial/Activate splash screen once you know your serial number.

• 2 months later...

A selection of products that are on offer are:

AutoCAD

AutoCAD Civil 3D

AutoCAD Electrical

AutoCAD Inventor Professional Suite

Autodesk Algor Simulation Professional

Autodesk Alias Design

Autodesk Alias Automotive

Autodesk Alias Sketch

Autodesk Ecotect Analysis