New Windows based 2D CAD - coming soon

f700es

It's captured my imagination after reading up on the Pro version. And the pricing is very reasonable.

Indeed, $500 for 2 users/copies is a good price point. The photogrammetry tools have my interests.

That's true. I just don't care for the idea of being tied to a company, making payments every month, when there are other good quality options available that don't require a subscription.

I still say that there should be a 3-tier AutoCAD system.

A $500 LT as it is now. No lease option just straight out purchase price

A middle of the road AutoCAD with lisp, database and other customization tools included priced between the top and bottom.

Then the full blown version

Here's the problem with a "buy it outright and own it forever" purchase option with software. Unlike physical tools, software is an immaterial tool and the nature of humans is that they get very comfortable to what they know and hesitant on "change". Eventually makes the industry lag. Up until a few years ago I would still get emails from recipients of my DWG files asking to save down to AutoCAD 2000, or 2004 or whatever. Nevermind the fact that Autodesk creates a free program do convert these things, because if people will buy software and literally hang onto it forever, what good does that do to the industry overall? These companies will hire new guys and the new employees will be forced to use 16 year old software "just because it works". To young aspiring career driven people who get a job, I see this as a great disservice. If I'm 22, fresh out of college and I sit down in my chair doing CAD design, I should expect the latest and greatest versions - period. I'd find it hard to argue against this view.

This is one reason why I love Revit's version incompatibility "solution" to this problem. The industry naturally forces you to use the updated versions. You have no choice but to keep installing the latest because if you ever get a file created in a newer version, there's no possible way to convert down. If you get awarded a job with a client who uses the latest version, you cannot use an older version. The industry keeps pushing forward. But, you can in fact "own" Revit outright... so if you're a one man show, and plan on being a one man show forever with no reason to ever collaborate with outside vendors and clients, then all is well. But this is not the case in almost all situations.

I believe Microsoft had to offer Windows 10 for free in the way they did just so people would go ahead and install it, just so Microsoft could propel the industry forward on their own dime. So we see it in many other industries, too. This wasn't an option years back when dial-up modems were the norm and high speed continuous connection to the internet wasn't rooted in our economy. Now, software can be the always-evolving always-advancing product that many were meant to be. Web-based programs that use the common browser as a portal to a program on the back end shows how quickly and easily an entire system can instantly be updated. Facebook, the social media giant went through big changes through the years and when they did, oh how the people would gripe because "Oh my GOSH this button I click every day is now moved over here!!"

I've learned to accept the constant updates and changes. I look forward to it. Many people share this mindset but many people don't. In the end, my point is that I believe "outright purchase" of software in today's market isn't a feasible option at all anymore.

$0.02 is all. :)

-TZ

NO, I don't have a problem with keeping up to date to "do business". Part of the cost of doing business as I see it.
Then we're on the same page. Unfortunately many are not. :)

I've learned to accept the constant updates and changes. I look forward to it. Many people share this mindset but many people don't.

I used to be the same way. I used to love it when a new version of a program was released. I was always the first one to jump in and learn all the new bells and whistles and then teach everyone else how to use them, but now that I'm pushing 50, I just don't have that kind of enthusiasm any more. I would much rather go ride my bike or go for a hike than sit in front of my computer learning all the new features. It just doesn't interest me the way it used to.