Can you have prefixes or suffixes on attributes?

tzframpton

I'm looking to add prefixes and suffixes to block attributes. Is there any option to this?

For instance, an attribute value of a duct diameter size, with a prefix of the inches symbol and diameter symbol behind it so all you have to input is only the size.

The input value from the user:

The final display of the full value:

8"Ø

This way the inches symbol and diameter symbol can be formatted correctly with the number, so if this value is 24 the "Ø will move over as the number of characters increase. I could always just have static text in the block but then my text formatting would have to go Right to Left and that is not desired. Any options to this? Thanks in advance!

-TZ

This is for vanilla AutoCAD.

And yes, AutoCAD MEP and Revit both can achieve this goal. My subcontractors use vanilla AutoCAD so building a new set of tools for them to use.

-TZ

The old fashioned screen menu would let you do this as it could be preset so 8 = 8" as a string

[AutoCAD]^C^C^P$S=X $S=S
[--]
[sELECT]
[WIDTH]
[------]
[  4]4"dia
[  6]6"dia
[  8]8"dia
[  12]12"dia

screen menu link

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/custom-screen-menu-2016/m-p/5855812/highlight/true

There is nothing built in to allow prefix and suffix, it may well be an option with lisp, using LT I could offer the option of a double attribute one used at insertion that is then hidden,and a second one that reads that value into a field and embeds the field between the prefix and suffix, but this requires a bit of exta work as you need to dynamically alter the block before it works properly, and you probably don't want the users having to learn all that.

I feel like you could possibly use on of Lee Mac's Routines. Take a look at the incremental numbering suite. It allows for an entered value as well as prefixes and suffixes

MillerMG only probelm is that is for one block if you had say 10 blocks then all would have to be redefined rather than some form of automated text entry. If using a digitiser then could be done also as the pick square would be hard coded with the text entries. If I can find time will try the screen menu way, the dia symbol using standard type text font would mean 8"##c 5 characters to be typed.