+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Default Disappearing annotations in AutoCAD Mechanical 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm having an issue with my annotations disappearing when I try to dimension anything in ACAD Mechanical. I've ran into this issue before, but can't recall the solution. I'll select 2 endpoints, drag the dim line off the part, then rmb to select location. An editable box will show up with the dim, but after i confirm the dim, it goes away. If I open the drawing in a version of ACAD classic, I don't have the issue. If I recall correctly, it was a very simple setting or shortcut that got enabled/disabled.

Any info would be appreciated!

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Is the dimension layer off or frozen? Is the dimension annotative, without the current view scale assigned to it.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Is the dimension layer off or frozen? Is the dimension annotative, without the current view scale assigned to it.
    Thanks for the response, Dana. The layer is on and not frozen. This happened with another user in my office in the past and the solution was simple (similar to an ANNOALLVISIBLE command). Once enabled, all the dimensions they had been trying to assign showed up at once.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by mmcclure View Post
    Thanks for the response, Dana. The layer is on and not frozen. This happened with another user in my office in the past and the solution was simple (similar to an ANNOALLVISIBLE command). Once enabled, all the dimensions they had been trying to assign showed up at once.
    Apparently your dimensions/Mleaders/text are annotative then. They are disappearing because the current view scale is different than whatever annotation scale is assigned to your annotations.

I can't remember the exact command name off hand, but there is a button, an annotation icon on the task bar. Turn it on and It will automagically add the current view scale to all the dims in the view area when the view scale changes, either in modelspace or a paperspace viewport. I am not sure the current view scale will be added to existing dimensions from before it is turned on, but if it doesn't , in modelspace just change the view scale to something else, and change back again. Some people don't like the scales added automatically, because it affects all the dimensions in the current space, so when you go to edit one, like MOVE or COPY you see ghost images of the selected annotation at all scales assigned to it at once. That can be kinda cloogie to look at.

The button should be right next to the other identical annotation icon (ANNOALLVISIBLE) down there on the task bar (or up on the annotation ribbon tab) where you change the view scale. it's something like ANNOAUTOSCALE. If you have tool tips turned on just hover till you find it. Without the automatic function turned on, you can select the dimensions and manually add the desired scale to them using the right clock menu, or the Properties pop up dialog window.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x64
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    2x ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Are these regular AutoCAD dimensions or Mechanical Power Dimensions or both?
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SLW210 View Post
    Are these regular AutoCAD dimensions or Mechanical Power Dimensions or both?
    Power dimensions.

Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Apparently your dimensions/Mleaders/text are annotative then. They are disappearing because the current view scale is different than whatever annotation scale is assigned to your annotations.

I can't remember the exact command name off hand, but there is a button, an annotation icon on the task bar. Turn it on and It will automagically add the current view scale to all the dims in the view area when the view scale changes, either in modelspace or a paperspace viewport. I am not sure the current view scale will be added to existing dimensions from before it is turned on, but if it doesn't , in modelspace just change the view scale to something else, and change back again. Some people don't like the scales added automatically, because it affects all the dimensions in the current space, so when you go to edit one, like MOVE or COPY you see ghost images of the selected annotation at all scales assigned to it at once. That can be kinda cloogie to look at.

The button should be right next to the other identical annotation icon (ANNOALLVISIBLE) down there on the task bar (or up on the annotation ribbon tab) where you change the view scale. it's something like ANNOAUTOSCALE. If you have tool tips turned on just hover till you find it. Without the automatic function turned on, you can select the dimensions and manually add the desired scale to them using the right clock menu, or the Properties pop up dialog window.
    Thanks. I'll look into this today.

Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Dana,
    The other dims/text in the dwg are not annotative, so i'm not sure if that's what i'm looking for. Annotation visibility and annotation scale didn't do the trick either. I've had them switch to classic from mechanical and just use DIMLINEAR instead of the Power dimensions in Mechanical. They are fine with this, but I'm going to be frustrated until I can figure out the issue! Thanks for your help.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by mmcclure View Post
    Dana,
    The other dims/text in the dwg are not annotative, so i'm not sure if that's what i'm looking for. Annotation visibility and annotation scale didn't do the trick either. I've had them switch to classic from mechanical and just use DIMLINEAR instead of the Power dimensions in Mechanical. They are fine with this, but I'm going to be frustrated until I can figure out the issue! Thanks for your help.
    Then there may be some phenomenon in mechanical dimensioning working against you. I am not familiar with the vertical products, so I hope someone else steps in. Just make sure that the dims that are disappearing either or or are not annotative so you can either keep or exclude annotative as a clue.

Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Manufacture
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Then there may be some phenomenon in mechanical dimensioning working against you. I am not familiar with the vertical products, so I hope someone else steps in. Just make sure that the dims that are disappearing either or or are not annotative so you can either keep or exclude annotative as a clue.
    Thanks Dana.