Disappearing annotations in AutoCAD Mechanical 2013

mmcclure

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm having an issue with my annotations disappearing when I try to dimension anything in ACAD Mechanical. I've ran into this issue before, but can't recall the solution. I'll select 2 endpoints, drag the dim line off the part, then rmb to select location. An editable box will show up with the dim, but after i confirm the dim, it goes away. If I open the drawing in a version of ACAD classic, I don't have the issue. If I recall correctly, it was a very simple setting or shortcut that got enabled/disabled.

Any info would be appreciated!

Is the dimension layer off or frozen? Is the dimension annotative, without the current view scale assigned to it.

Thanks for the response, Dana. The layer is on and not frozen. This happened with another user in my office in the past and the solution was simple (similar to an ANNOALLVISIBLE command). Once enabled, all the dimensions they had been trying to assign showed up at once.

Thanks for the response, Dana. The layer is on and not frozen. This happened with another user in my office in the past and the solution was simple (similar to an ANNOALLVISIBLE command). Once enabled, all the dimensions they had been trying to assign showed up at once.
Apparently your dimensions/Mleaders/text are annotative then. They are disappearing because the current view scale is different than whatever annotation scale is assigned to your annotations.

I can't remember the exact command name off hand, but there is a button, an annotation icon on the task bar. Turn it on and It will automagically add the current view scale to all the dims in the view area when the view scale changes, either in modelspace or a paperspace viewport. I am not sure the current view scale will be added to existing dimensions from before it is turned on, but if it doesn't , in modelspace just change the view scale to something else, and change back again. Some people don't like the scales added automatically, because it affects all the dimensions in the current space, so when you go to edit one, like MOVE or COPY you see ghost images of the selected annotation at all scales assigned to it at once. That can be kinda cloogie to look at.

The button should be right next to the other identical annotation icon (ANNOALLVISIBLE) down there on the task bar (or up on the annotation ribbon tab) where you change the view scale. it's something like ANNOAUTOSCALE. If you have tool tips turned on just hover till you find it. Without the automatic function turned on, you can select the dimensions and manually add the desired scale to them using the right clock menu, or the Properties pop up dialog window.

Apparently your dimensions/Mleaders/text are annotative then. They are disappearing because the current view scale is different than whatever annotation scale is assigned to your annotations.

I can't remember the exact command name off hand, but there is a button, an annotation icon on the task bar. Turn it on and It will automagically add the current view scale to all the dims in the view area when the view scale changes, either in modelspace or a paperspace viewport. I am not sure the current view scale will be added to existing dimensions from before it is turned on, but if it doesn't , in modelspace just change the view scale to something else, and change back again. Some people don't like the scales added automatically, because it affects all the dimensions in the current space, so when you go to edit one, like MOVE or COPY you see ghost images of the selected annotation at all scales assigned to it at once. That can be kinda cloogie to look at.

The button should be right next to the other identical annotation icon (ANNOALLVISIBLE) down there on the task bar (or up on the annotation ribbon tab) where you change the view scale. it's something like ANNOAUTOSCALE. If you have tool tips turned on just hover till you find it. Without the automatic function turned on, you can select the dimensions and manually add the desired scale to them using the right clock menu, or the Properties pop up dialog window.

Thanks. I'll look into this today.

Dana,

The other dims/text in the dwg are not annotative, so i'm not sure if that's what i'm looking for. Annotation visibility and annotation scale didn't do the trick either. I've had them switch to classic from mechanical and just use DIMLINEAR instead of the Power dimensions in Mechanical. They are fine with this, but I'm going to be frustrated until I can figure out the issue! Thanks for your help.

Dana,

The other dims/text in the dwg are not annotative, so i'm not sure if that's what i'm looking for. Annotation visibility and annotation scale didn't do the trick either. I've had them switch to classic from mechanical and just use DIMLINEAR instead of the Power dimensions in Mechanical. They are fine with this, but I'm going to be frustrated until I can figure out the issue! Thanks for your help.

Then there may be some phenomenon in mechanical dimensioning working against you. I am not familiar with the vertical products, so I hope someone else steps in. Just make sure that the dims that are disappearing either or or are not annotative so you can either keep or exclude annotative as a clue.

Then there may be some phenomenon in mechanical dimensioning working against you. I am not familiar with the vertical products, so I hope someone else steps in. Just make sure that the dims that are disappearing either or or are not annotative so you can either keep or exclude annotative as a clue.

Thanks Dana.

I moved your thread to the Mechanical & MDT Forum, perhaps it is a Mechanical specific problem.

Yes, posting a .dwg would certainly help eliminate some things.

Thanks for everyone's input. As i was paring down the file to upload, i found a mechanical layer that was frozen, but it was not the layer that i was trying to use to apply the dimension with. I feel like an idiot. I guess now my question is how is that association made, but i should probably ask that on a different forum. I don't use Mechanical very often, so maybe that's my issue?

This has probably already been covered, but I am too tired right now to re-read the thread, and I can't remember.

Are you working through a viewport? If so, is your dim layer frozen in that one viewport? The way I learned about this technique many years ago, was by being confronted with someone else's drawing with two dimension layers, DIMS and DETAIL DIMS. DIMS was frozen in all the detail (large scale) viewports, and DETAIL DIMS was frozen in all the rest.