3D Solids after Union

dreamer

In standard drafting practice, a line is not shown where a cylindrical surface blends in with a flat, perfectly tangent surface. This standard has never been part of the hidden line routines for AutoCAD. The lines you are complaining about are integral to AutoCAD line drawing display functions.

There are a couple of things you can do to get rid of them.

#1, use a shaded surface visualstyle (e.g., conceptual, realistic, etc.) rather than a line drawing visualstyle. Or you can use render. This solution will yield an image with no definitive edges which you apparently do not like.

#2. Change to 2D wireframe visualstyle, set dispsilh to 1 then give the hide command. Select all of the lines then give Ctrl-C to copy the lines to the Windows clipboard. Now open MS Word or Power Point and do a Paste Special- Picture (Windows Metafile). Continuing in Word you can now select the image, right-click and choose Group, Ungroup. At this stage you can delete unwanted lines, change their color and lineweight. When you are done editing the lines select them all and regroup. At this point I usually set the aspect ratio of the image to stay fixed so I can scale the image without distortion.

I have used technique #2 hundreds of times to make high quality line drawings for technical documentation drawings.

Let me know if you would like more detail for this process.

~Lee

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• dreamer

• Cad64

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your geometry has overlapping endpoints between a straight line segment and the arc it is supposed to connect to. The overlap measures 0.02026863. And this is where it is located.

ProfileError.jpg

One other thing. I'm not sure you have a true ninety angle for your arcs which may be throwing things off as well. Did you construct the profile while in an isometric view and perhaps make an erroneous pick?

Hi Irm. I followed your #2 thanks :D

I got rid of the unwanted lines, shame that it can't be done in AutoCAD Visual Style. That means if you change the View, you have to do the paste to WORD procedures again.

But thanks to all of you guys.

I'm curious. Given that the drawing, not to mention the design, suffers from some serious problems what good is a pretty picture going to do you? Is it something just to show the wife or maybe to start a conversation with an architect?

Edited by ReMark

Even if it's just for a pretty picture, bad geometry can cause problems when applying materials and can also cause lighting and shadow anomalies and strange artifacts when rendering. It's always best to build models correctly in order to avoid problems down the line.