creating layer with code for each point

john-g

hello guys !!

im trying to import Points from Leica device and i want to creat a layer for each Point depending on its code ,if anyone have ideas how to do it i will be thanksfull

best regards !!!

That sounds very similar to stringing points.

For a fuller explanation, I would recommend that you do a web search using "survey stringing into cad".

Like eldon thats why programs like CIV3D exist.

I do have some knowledge about this being involved in civil software sales in the past.

I know it keeps coming back to me to do something.

The layer part is the easy part its the string that is hardest but I will try to explain a possible method. When you take a survey shot you record the object description eg "EB" or "403" edge of bitumen so that point goes on the layer "Ex_Edge_bit". You add a string prefix or suffix to the code which is a string that means join all 01EB together join all 02EB together in simple terms left and right. A possible solution is to use excel and sort twice sort the points based on ptnumber 1st then code second, noting 00EB is a point only. There is all sorts of smarts that can be added like a 3pt arc, a combo of two descriptions eg where a fence meets the intersection of another fence. I know these because it was in the software that I sold.

You can then line by line join and draw lines on correct layer. Its not rocket science just a involved task, that me for one just can not find the time to do it.

Can you post a Leica sample file I am not offering anything at this time but more about getting test data from different sources.

n,x,y,z,01EB

n,x,y,z,01EB

n,x,y,z,01EB

n,x,y,z,02EB

n,x,y,z,02EB

n,x,y,z,02EB

tombu you are correct I worked for Topcon and they wrote a dxf file that was strung.

Currently we use Trimble for data collection, but when I started at Leon County they did all their Cogo with Wildsoft which was a product of Leica until they quit supporting it in 1994. Did I just show my age?