Unable to get Spot Coordinate from Linked 3D CAD

NYATI

Hi All

I have an AutoCAD 3D drawing linked to my Revit Architecture 2016 model using shared coordinates. My System family:Spot coordinate has Include Elevation checked. I am using Spot Coordinates on known points in CAD to confirm the file is in correct position when linked by shared coordinates.

When I try to get a 3D coordinate to ANY 3D lines, polylines etc. from the linked CAD file I am not able to select the geometry (cursor changes to grey circle). However, I can get 3D coordinates to any geometry drawn with ZERO Z value in AutoCAD.

Is it possible to id 3D point in Revit similar to id command in AutoCAD or am I missing something?

My apologies if there is a thread covering this but couldn't find one with search.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you mean linework or geometry? What you cannot anchor to in Plan View with the Spot Elevation tool, go to a 3D view instead. You can pick linework, such as LINE and PLINE elements, but not a 3DPOLY as far as I know (among others). 3D geometry works in either view IIRC.

Best thing to do in lining up a DWG in Revit is to create a 3D UCS and place it at your origin point of choice, whether it be 0,0,0 of the WCS, or 0,0,100'-0", or any specific point (gridline intersection, any other reference, etc.). This will show up in Revit in which you can manually move while snapping to the Project Base Point or Survey Point (which ever is needed).

Hope this helps. -TZ

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried in 3D view and still not working and I have tries the different types of line work in AutCAD. When adding a Spot Coordinate it appears to take the height from the Revit elements nearby. In Temp Isolate the linked CAD Spot Coordinate not working.

The image #01 below shows what I am trying to ID. All the linework has been created with polylines, on same elevation and layer, but only the polyline making the left side of triangle Revit "snaps" to. I tried another polyline on another layer and it "snaps" with correct Elevation to end of long polyline but not closed rectangles (image #02). :?

Is it just me or shouldn't this be easier?

Spot_Dim_02.gif

Spot_Dim_01.gif

You really don't need to display the elevation via a SE tool. I feel like you're making this much harder than it needs to be. And I'm not saying that to be rude, just an honest response with pure respect behind it.

Once a DWG is Linked into Revit, it exists in 3D space. Granted, DWG Links are always referenced to a Level which is a Plane in Revit, but you can still manipulate the Link to be at whatever XYZ you need. Spot Elevation is a read-only value, one that is not needed if you know your origin and simply need to align it in Revit.

My process is as follows... create a cross at my origin in the DWG in AutoCAD. Link it into the Plan View level I want it referenced (Level 1, for instance). From there, I use Move to snap to the intersection of the cross from the DWG, and move it to the intersection of my grid intersection in Revit. Done and done. The Link exists on the Level 1 plane so it's already set in the Z elevation relative to by Project Base Point. If for any reason this needs to change, then go to a Section or Elevation View and move the AutoCAD Link up/down as needed. I'm in the AEC industry, not civil, so I always have a grid intersection to reference. Your mileage may vary if you're civil, but the theory is all the same.

It's a very AutoCAD-esque process, to be honest. It's easy to treat AutoCAD files in Revit like AutoCAD. :)

-TZ

Hi TZ

Thanks for your thoughts. I use a similar method to you for bringing in cad. I am coming at this as a surveyor and it is instilled that you check everything!!! What I find so frustrating is using Spot Coordinate command is it kinda does and doesn't work? Why only certain lines......:?

I probably need to let it go now. :)

N

Revit does not mix well with the Civil world. You will always fight Revit, sometimes hard, sometimes not so hard, but a fight nonetheless. It compounds the problem at times because Revit is a very isolated program... it only likes Revit only objects and not outside objects, including DWG. The system of origin in Revit is completely bass-akwards to AutoCAD's which is yet another hit.

Ultimately, the ID command - while a subtle yet great tool in AutoCAD - just isn't available in the same way in Revit.

-TZ

Hi TZ

What I find so frustrating is using Spot Coordinate command is it kinda does and doesn't work? Why only certain lines......:?

I know what you mean, Revit is a special tool that doesn't seem to do very well with some civil sports.

Who ever told you you should work within these .rvt files? To do what ? ... not to make surveying DRAWINGS i hope ..

Why don't you use a Field / ID / annotative tag in AutoCAD after you exported it to 3D for this task then?

You can 'sync' RVT and DWG in some '3D folder'. For many 'drawing tasks' AutoCAD is my first choice, other days i find myself in Revit ..

"..I'm in the AEC industry' date=' not civil, so I always have a grid intersection to reference. Your mileage may vary if you're civil, but the theory is all the same.."

[/quote']

@TZ i think we all are in the AEC industry (personally i hate this accronym ... )

http://www.autodesk.com/collections/architecture-engineering-construction/overview