+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by f700es View Post
    You really think BIM is a "bubble"? BIM is not unique to AutoDesk nor Revit btw. LOTS of applications use some type of BIM file/format (IFC for example). Just saying
    Yes I think BIM is a bubble in the sense that the thought of bringing all kinds od data into ONE 3d model is a plain bull****. It should be about CONNECTING data /people/ whatever..
    Modelling is done with two hands, 2d & 3d. Let it work together..
    https://twitter.com/halammerts

Computer Details
    CyberAngel's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Discipline
    Architectural
    CyberAngel's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Civil Drafter
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Roofing and Waterproofing
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Quote Originally Posted by halam View Post
    Yes I think BIM is a bubble in the sense that the thought of bringing all kinds od data into ONE 3d model is a plain bull****. It should be about CONNECTING data /people/ whatever..
    I guess we'll have to wait for the holographic systems that all the supervillains have.

I agree with you. Putting all the data in one place is a good first step, but it does nothing to boost collaboration. And as someone else noted, management has to endorse the technology if not embrace it. The technology has gotten better, but the software and the wetware can't keep up.
    breaking AutoCAD on a regular basis since 1991

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD not applicable

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAL View Post
    We are moving to 3D machine control for our civil designs. The last one I did was a drainage line so created a 900mm trench surface model, they went and dug it.
    I'm a big fan of 3D machine control in general for bulk earthworks & roadworks although haven't implemented it for drainage works (other than 3D strings representing the pipes etc).

Modelling a trench for volume purposes (and based on the 3D drainage strings to keep it easy) I understand (although wouldn't bother with personally) although I wouldn't use it for machine control. E.g. if the trench varies in depth from 1m to 2m then if you do a 3D model you really need to do a proper model and incorporate benches and similar. I'd rather not the liability of a trench not being benched correctly and in breach of OH&S etc. It is bad enough when I'm onsite and in a trench and see that it isn't benched correctly (e.g. they push it 200 or 300mm further than they should have); workcover would have a much dimmer view I presume.

In my experience the trench width on a site often varies (for the same size pipes) due to operator skill, buckets available and plant available.

One thing to be careful with is drop pits and how 3D data is generated an interpreted; have seen issues with machine control and those before...

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD not applicable

Quote Originally Posted by CyberAngel View Post

I agree with you. Putting all the data in one place is a good first step, but it does nothing to boost collaboration.
    This. For below ground utilities, in house we are using 3D models for clash detection of services we design say however none of that (3D data/models) is then provided to other utilities doing their own in ground work (or vice versa).

In terms of building projects and above ground services, it is the same scenario for us in terms of no model/digital collaboration except we aren't doing 3D models at all in that space with the exception of major structural elements (and only then as the model is required for the analysis; e.g. the 3D model is a nice to have although not essential). Some architects we work on projects with do have 3D models (Revit, ArchiCad etc) although they (other than 2D paper plans & DWG files) don't feed into other disciplines in my experience. This is for typical projects in the 1M to 20M range though; I presume the bigger the projects, the more collaboration/model sharing and where IFC becomes more used in terms of master models from multiple sources and associated clash detection.

Using
    AutoCAD 2017

IFC still does little to nothing for civil, gis, (many other tasks)..
    Too bad the development (implementation) is going so slow. 'one model' in bim discussions can be read as 'one fileformat' .. Mycent

Computer Details
    howitzer's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7-64 Pro
    RAM:
    8GB
    Graphics:
    nVid-something
    Discipline
    Civil
    howitzer's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Civil Engineering Technician
    Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2015

I'm sure BIM is the wave of the future, but we still have hardly touched it. Could be my discipline, though... civil.

Using
    AutoCAD 2017

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

The 'information' part is the strange in current solution being sold as BIM software. What piece of data is information, to who? At what stage? There are so many tools and stakeholder involved to call the proces BIM.