Dealing with updated floor plans

SafeTek

Hi Guys,

How do you deal with new architectural xrefs?

I work at an M&E consultants and when we start a job we create a file from the architectural layout which we rename x_nnnnn_layout.dwg in this file we turn off layers of stuff that isn't important to us and change all the lines to colour 8 and default lineweight before referencing into our design model.

When the architect sends new plans we have to go through the whole process of tidying up the drawing again. On some projects this happens a lot and wastes a fair bit of time.

How do you deal with new architectural layouts? Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks.

If layer properties are your only concern and you can use VISRETAIN set to 1 in the referencing files. A simple SAVEAS or rename can get the job done as the XREF layer properties will be saved in the referencing files. There are many ways to get clean up accomplished in the XREF file itself. Layer translator, layer states, inserting the new file into the previously set-up one, LISP and the list goes on.

Making files usable is not a waste of time, the trick is minimizing that time.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rob.

I've tried VISRETAIN but couldn't get it to work as expected, I am away from a CAD machine at the moment so will have to wait until morning to experiment. The layer translator looks very interesting and definately work exploring.

What I've started doing (we do Architectural site layouts and receive landscaping plans, but the principles should be the same):

Open new drawing

Check for, and if necessary, explode any proxy/AEC objects.

Check for scaling

remove any xrefs

Xref in our planning layout for checking (this may not be relevant to you).

Send the people who sent me the drawing a big long email of all the bits they missed, marked up with revision clouds.....

Use LAYTRANS to convert layer definitions. I use the previous version of the xref (which I'll have saved into a superseded folder) as the "translate to" file. IF (and with some firms it can be a big if) the layering is the same in the new file as the old, then you should end up with the same set of layering.

Write over the xref...

The LAYTRANS step helps with VISRETAIN not always working as well as it should...

dJE