Groove Weld Intermittency

kpyoung333

My coworker drew something up and I decided to put the welds on. I got to this call out and can make it work with the groove weld but there is no option for the 1/2-6 intermittency. The Fillet weld has "problems encountered" and won't apply. There is a small gap between the tube and plate, is this the problem of the fillet weld? I've chosen many combination of faces for the fillet weld and can't get it to work. Is there a reason there is no intermittency option for the groove weld?

Groove Weld Intermittency.jpg

Cosmetically the way I found a workaround to create the groove weld intermittency: offset the plane from end 1/2", sketch project the weld edge, extrude cut using the machining tab @ 6", rectangular pattern the cut @ 6"+1/2". This seems crazy but is this the best way to achieve this?

Groove Weld Intermittency Workaround.jpg

With the fillet weld the selection process is the important thing here. The Groove weld needs the same selection of that small side face of the plate, but you dont get that int weld option like in the fillet.

For Face 2 make sure you grab the side edge of the plate.

Weld1.jpg

Weld2.jpg

If you are using the groove weld then try and select the fill direction as the short edge of the plate.