Different Dimension Scales On Same Project

Anestakos

Hello,

I am working on a project and i want to make a staircase,

I want to make a detail of the railing,the overall drawing is in 1:10 scale,but i want the detail to be in 1:5 scale.how can i change the dimension scale for a single object? I have tried putting it to another layer but it didnt work.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• AFitchguy07

• totzky

• erratic

Top Posters In This Topic

thnx for the fast replies,i tried creating new dimension style,but it automaticly applies to the whole drawing.

Sounds like your not creating new dim styles but modifying the one that is being used. It is either that or your not making your new style active once you create it.

i figured this out,i created a 2nd layer and a 2nd dimension style which i applied only to the layer i wanted while keeping the other locked,just to be sure!

thanks again!

Draw everything in model space at full size. Then switch to your layout. Create the required number of viewports. Apply different scales to different viewports as required. Any other way, given the fact you are using a relatively recent version of AutoCAD, is just a kludge.

Draw everything in model space at full size. Then switch to your layout. Create the required number of viewports. Apply different scales to different viewports as required.

Yeah, you maybe right. Maybe a case of being old schooled boy sticking it out with model space dimensioning.

Can't help it though!

I'm sorry. Maybe it is the lack of coffee this morning but I'm having a difficult time discerning what it is you're after. Care to elaborate? I'll help where I can but I've got to have a better understanding of what you are looking for. Thanks.

First, apology is not necessary.See I already edited my reply.

Second, English is not my native tongue--the reason for you having a hard time discerning. I should be the one apologizing.

simply put - no need for additional DIMSTYLES to be set up....

just adjust your DIMSCALE according to the desired plotted scale and update dims accordingly.... and setting up DIM48 DIM96 DIM192 (or whatever) layer names help for toggling proper dims in their corresponding vports...

just a thought - has worked for me for years.

Draw everything in model space at full size. Then switch to your layout. Create the required number of viewports. Apply different scales to different viewports as required. Any other way, given the fact you are using a relatively recent version of AutoCAD, is just a kludge.

it's funny how some people do not adhere to this MAIN rule of drafting...

very good point!

That has been a "trick question" on interviews I've heard over the years from time to time... and the best way to NOT get hired is to answer the question: "What scale do you draw in?" with anything other than "1:1" or "full scale"

p e a c e ! ! !

-e

BTW - kludge - Good word! I'm gonna have to use that one...

8)

simply put - no need for additional DIMSTYLES to be set up....

just adjust your DIMSCALE according to the desired plotted scale and update dims accordingly.... and setting up DIM48 DIM96 DIM192 (or whatever) layer names help for toggling proper dims in their corresponding vports...

just a thought - has worked for me for years.

I'm a total newbie, could you explain how to do this?