Is it possible to scale up Annotaive Dimensions

If the current view scale is not assigned to them, they won't show up even in modelspace, at least in release 2015 and beyond, because one can change the current view scale in modelspace for annotative objects. Of course if one wants to remain dazed and confused, one can set ANNOALLVISIBLE to 1. Then they will all show in modelspace, and paperspace.

I mean yeah if your using more than 2 annotative scales then you need to rethink your standards. In design work I see no reason where you would even have more than 1 scale and if your doing architectural work 2 maybe. I always looked at it this way the viewport is a frame with a glass in it that shrinks down or expands the drawing to where you can see it simple stuff really and annotative scales are a way of adding bifocals to the glass to see the fine print that was added in model space.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kashbg

• RobDraw

• Ski_Me

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

In design work I see no reason where you would even have more than 1 scale and if your doing architectural work 2 maybe.

Why not? Just today, I worked with three on the same sheet.

You are still missing how annotative dimensions work. Annotative objects automatically assume the current view scale, If they are set up properly.

STEP 1. Decide how big you want your dimensions to appear in paper space. Most people use either 3/32" or 1/8" text height, or the metric equivalent.

STEP 2. Build a dimension style to that size.

STEP 3. Click on the ANNOTATIVE option in the style editor. STOP THERE. Do not scale anything at all in the dimension style editor.

STEP 4. Apply some dimensions to your model linework, in modelspace. You may not be able to see the text yet without zooming way in, unless you have assigned an annotative scale to your dimensions. Once again, after your dimensions have scales assigned to them, you can adjust the view scale of modelspace so you can see how your annotative text will look once they get to your viewport. The view scale adjustment in modelspace DOES NOT scale your modelwork. It only simulates how the annotative objects will look at the intended viewport scale. I mentioned how to do this too, in my original post.

STEP 5. Use one of the methods I outlined in my original reply to assign annotative scales to the dimensions. HINT: The easiest way is to simply turn on Autoscale.

STEP 6. Set up a layout with a viewport set to a scale of choice and be amazed.

STEP 7. Skip steps 3, 4, 5, and 6, and apply your 1/8" annotation in PAPERSPACE where none of the things above matter one bit, except how you sized all the pieces of your dimension style.

I can't wait to see the questions that come, once you have clicked on an annotative dimension already applied in modelspace. and have it display ALL of the annotative scales at once. That's just a treat for later.

Dana W,

This was an excellent step by step guide on how to visually in paper space custom make and adjust the size of your dimensions, convert them into an annotative style if I wish to and use universally across different scale PS viewports.

Finally I got the little tweak of information I have been looking for. Further, I also take away that the in general the preferred place to apply dimensions is paper space, avoiding the need for annotative dims.

Thank you all for your help Dana W, Ski_Me, ReMark, RobDraw, I hope I have not missed anyone. :)

If you use non-annotative dims directly in paper space and accidentally pan the model (scale not locked), is there a way to automatically adjust/ realign the PS dims to the model, or just "Ctrl + Z" if you happen to notice in time.

It isn't often I have to resort to using the command so I don't recall if the user is limited to picking one dimension at a time or if he/she can window a group of dimensions. Only one way to find out....test! LoL

Maybe someone has written a custom lisp command that would do the job but then again if so I am not aware of one. Sorry.

Back on topic, I prefer placing everything but the Model in Paper Space. Model = Model Space, everything else = Paper Space.

How many of you guys prefer to place dims in Paper Space.

I am asking because I had a go and encountered a slight inconvenience.

If I use a particular Non-Anno Dim Style in Paper Space and I have 3 different viewports set at different scales (1:100mm, 1:50mm and 1:10mm), then to actually have the correct Dim Text reading, I would have to select all dims within each vewport and set "Dim scale linear" to 100 for the 1:100 viewport, 50 for the 1:50 viewport and 10 for the 1:10mm viewport.

Is this how you do it or am I missing something?

We place all text and dimensions in the paper space layout. Heights of text/dimensions are set to real world dimensions. It is unnecessary to set the dim scale factor. The only real concern is to make sure all dimensions are associative which is NOT the same as annotative. We've been doing this for quite some time and haven't encountered any problems.

How many of you guys prefer to place dims in Paper Space.

I am asking because I had a go and encountered a slight inconvenience.

If I use a particular Non-Anno Dim Style in Paper Space and I have 3 different viewports set at different scales (1:100mm, 1:50mm and 1:10mm), then to actually have the correct Dim Text reading, I would have to select all dims within each vewport and set "Dim scale linear" to 100 for the 1:100 viewport, 50 for the 1:50 viewport and 10 for the 1:10mm viewport.

Is this how you do it or am I missing something?

Make sure DIMASSOC is set to 2, sounds like yours is set to 1.

Make sure DIMASSOC is set to 2, sounds like yours is set to 1.

Thanks "rkent", your were right, my dimassoc was set to 1.

Problem solved.

Thanks