1st angle/3rd angle projection

MILTFD means the fabricator should not deviate from the drawing. Build/fabricate the object "as shown". 41=Four Once. It's a numerical equivalent of the first letter of each word.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• ReMark

• khoshravan

• Lazer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See if this helps on 1st vs 3rd Angle Projection

Dear SWL210

Thanks for your link. I read it. This is what we have learned in University but I don't remember if it was tought under 1st angle or 3rd angle. (that was long time ago!). Anyway in Iran we also use 1st angle method.

Although I should mention that with outbreak of computer, it has changed tremendously and seldom the school era rules are obeyed.

Also in my opinion, with 3D techniques available, I see less room for those old techniques. Like as many other fields, computer has revolutionized working methods and techniques and some of them should be rewritten for school and university curriculum.

Good drafting technique established back in the days when drawings were done manually, in my opinion, should not be abandoned just because we went to CAD. Too many people who learn CAD have failed to learn good drafting technique and it shows.

MILTFD means the fabricator should not deviate from the drawing. Build/fabricate the object "as shown". 41=Four Once. It's a numerical equivalent of the first letter of each word.

Dear ReMark

As Larry mentioned it stands for:

"Make It Like The F'n Drawing Four Once"

But what is the meaning of F'n and what is "first letter of each word"?

For...like "Four" = 4

Once... = 1

This: 41

"F'n" is an abbreviation for a nasty four letter word which I will not type here.

For...like "Four" = 4

Once... = 1

This: 41

"F'n" is an abbreviation for a nasty four letter word which I will not type here.

I understand the 2nd part.8) Some how I understand the first part.:wink: Totally I get the point but not completely.:?

What is amazing for me is: Do you use this expression under official drawings to tell the shop workers to check the drawing?!? Unbelievable.:shock: I hope I have misunderstood it.

I personally do not use this abbreviation nor would I recommend its use.

In our engineering department we have, as one of our general notes, that the fabricators consult with the project engineer or designer when there are any questions about or discrepancies in the drawings. We all have to work together so there is no need to instill any animosity between departments.

Also in my opinion, with 3D techniques available, I see less room for those old techniques.

3D does not negate "old techniques".

A 2D drawing is a 2D drawing, whether it originates as 2D or is generated from 3D.

The standards are the same.

Also, as a machinist I saw plenty of drawings that if I made it like the fine drawing I would be making a pile of (s)crap.

Plenty of engineers (by whatever name) don't know what they are doing.

Edited by JD Mather

Good drafting technique established back in the days when drawings were done manually, in my opinion, should not be abandoned just because we went to CAD. Too many people who learn CAD have failed to learn good drafting technique and it shows.
totally agree.

I do shop drawing and prefab drawings all the time. I never use projection symbols, nor do I pay particular attention to them when present.

Hear, Hear!

A lot of the questions that get asked on the CAD forums are of the form "HOW CAN I DRAW THIS SHAPE" usually for a simple draughting / geometric construction.

I don't blame the person asking the question, I blame whoever trained them.

It seems that the basics of draughting construction are no longer being taught and if the CAD programme doesn't have an icon for a particular construction then the user is at a loss.