Shift to add to selection (PICKADD) - shortcut key option to toggle?

King Louie

If this is posted elsewhere, I apologize, but I couldn't come across anything...

Users will come to me occasionally telling me that they can't pick more than one object. I know to go to Options, Selection tab, and uncheck the checkbox for hold Shift to add to selection set. I also know about the related PICKADD setting.

What I want to know is if there is some sort of hotkey, SHIFT+something, etc. to toggle this on/off. I am kind of our detailing software tester/guru, and see this from time to time. When I'm asked about it, I can fix it for them, but I can't tell them what they did to cause it. Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

The most likely culprit for changes in the PICKADD system variable setting would be a poorly written lisp, which fails to restore the previous setting upon an abort or escape, mid execution of the lisp. Are the users in question using personalized PROFILES, or the default Autocad profile?

I know you said you understand the PICKADD settings, but in case someone else might not, I have attached a screenshot from the SYSVDLG box.

Wherein, I might add, one can use the SAVE ALL option to create an .svf (system variable file), which is always a good thing to have, and will one day come in very handy, unless of course you have never created one, at which time you will wish that you had.

PICKADD.jpg

Our users don't write any of their own LISPs or routines, and are not manipulating PICKADD themselves. It's all done under the hood for us through functionality built by our own internal IT group. If that is the case, chances are, except for maybe exiting a certain routine without completing it, there's not really anything the users might be doing. The fun part would be identifying which routine(s) are at fault.

Thanks for the guidance.

I am illisperate, but have great appreciation for those who are amongst the lisperati, lots of forum members fall into that club. I use a great many of LeeMac;s wonderful lisps on a regular basis, and they save me lots of time and effort. Thanks Lee! :beer:

This link from Lee's site http://www.lee-mac.com/errorhandling.html

may shine further light on the issue of which I spoke in my earlier post, and may be a good starting point for anyone looking to check your in house lisps for inadequate error handling.

There is a toggle switch for PICKADD up at the top right of the Properties dialog box. It's in the same place in all versions of Vanilla AutoCad. Tell you people to stop playing with the buttons. :lol:

One way to fix this is to copy that button to their ribbon or toolbar in the CUI and give it a text label.

Untitled.jpg

THAT is something I can see our users getting into by accident. I think I might pass that one along... I didn't realize it was there, either. I'm a keyboard shortcut guy, but I tell users to keep their properties palette open on auto-hide... although some lose patience with the auto-hide behavior, when it flies out on them when they don't want it to...

Thanks again to all!

THAT is something I can see our users getting into by accident. I think I might pass that one along... I didn't realize it was there, either. I'm a keyboard shortcut guy, but I tell users to keep their properties palette open on auto-hide... although some lose patience with the auto-hide behavior, when it flies out on them when they don't want it to...

Thanks again to all!

I am a huge fan of the QUICK PROPERTIES, over the standard PROPERTIES, because it can be customized to show you exactly what you feel is needed, and nothing more.

Not for everybody, but I find it very helpful.