Down grade utilities or drawing sources or any advice

Bilbo

I am curious to know though, if one can do all that, into the Z Axis, what

earns it the 2d designation as opposed to other apps that are considered 3d?

Anybody have this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Bilbo

• JD Mather

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AutoCAD Mechanical runs on top of AutoCAD. So AutoCAD mechanical has all of the functionality of vanilla AutoCAD. The "mechanical" side of it are (2D) things like libraries of fasteners, gears, sprockets - all hardware you would purchase off-the-shelf and other optimization for creating 2D drawings of mechanical assemblies.

(There is (or was) an AutoCAD Architecture optimized for Architecture, an AutoCAD Civil optimized for....)

I have never used AutoCAD Mechanical, because it is not a modern 3D program (built on top of antiquated 20th century AutoCAD) and all of the work I do is 3D. For me the 3D model is the single source of truth. Digital prototyping, a faithful representation of the analog world. 2D drawings are generated from the 3D model. CNC g-code generated from the 3D model. Rendering and animations generated from the 3D model. FEA and physical dynamics generated from the 3D model.

About the only thing entirely 2D are drawings like electrical/electronic schematics....

Thanks for all the words, but you didn't answer my question.

I have read up on all the information about AutoCAD (2014) and AutoCAD Mechanical, and yes, they they still do make the Architectural version and a few others as well.

But that is not my question.

Why, or how is it, that the term 2D is applied to AutoCAD in general.

I can open, edit, draw, rotate set 3d views, apply 3d surfaces, create 3d objects and blocks, all in 3 dimensions.

So, what is the big distinction here between the supposedly 2d AutoCAD and the 3d Inventor.

And I'm not talking about added features or animation and stuff like that.

If you can draw in 3d in AutoCAD, why is it called a 2d application?

HUH!

You're the one who keeps calling it a 2d application.

Why?

I see it plastered all over Autodesk's website too.

Why?

Am I really to buy that I can really draw in 3d in R12, but cannot in 2014?

HUH!

You're the one who keeps calling it a 2d application.

Post url where I said AutoCAD is a 2D application.

I have written a lot of papers on using AutoCAD for 3D.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD_2007_Tutorials.htm

A lot of users of don't consider AutoCAD a "true" 3D modeler.

I certainly wouldn't use it in the 21st century if access to true next-generation 3D tool available.!

Am I really to buy that I can really draw in 3d in R12, but cannot in 2014?

Where has anyone written that AutoCAD 2014 (unless Apple OS version) won't do something r12 would do?

Post url. Evidence! (be assured that AutoCAD 2014 will do everything r12 would do and far more in the realm of 3D)

AutoCAD Mechanical is a 2D program (andAutoCAD).

Posted by YOU Today 12:20pm.

OMG, you are unbelievable.

I don't want to seem like an ingrate.

I could use some information.

Clearly, I've been out of the loop for awhile now and as I even mentioned I am aware in my first post, the world has moved on.

But dude, you freaking drip of your own sense of superiority so bad if is chaffing.

Why else would you self-describe YOURSELF as LUMINOUS.

I’ve encountered your type before plenty.

And just so you know, in my book,and probably most other people’s books, anyone that WE might think to ourselves could be considered a “luminous being” would also demonstrate HUMILITY.

So don’t start looking down your nose at me, begging for proof of your own statements here in this very thread.

AutoCAD Mechanical is a 2D program (andAutoCAD).

Uhmm,

I very clearly stated that AutoCAD Mechanical is a 2D program and then went on and described the difference between vanilla AutoCAD and AutoCAD Mechanical.

I also explained that AutoCAD Mechanical runs on top of vanilla AutoCAD and therefore includes all of the functionality of vanilla AutoCAD plus the mechanical field specific 2D stuff like standard fasteners.

Here is the CADTutor forum for AutoCAD Mechanical

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?60-Mechanical

As you browse that forum - keep in mind that yet a 3rd program, Mechanical Desktop (MDT), is referred to which is not AutoCAD Mechanical, but does run on top of vanilla AutoCAD as well. Mechanical Desktop is (or was) a true 3D Parametric modeler. Autodesk discontinued selling MDT in Feb 2012 and instead gave it away with the next-generation replacement product - Autodesk Inventor. MDT was completely discontinued with r2009.

We have covered a lot of history today. With the similar names it is confusing to understand the market placement of each of the different products (and there are far more that haven't been discussed, for example, you might want to investigate Fusion 360 (not to be confused with Inventor Fusion which has been discontinued))

Edited by JD Mather

Hello Bilbo, JD is just trying to help you, while espousing Inventor which he strongly believes would be a superior program for your son to learn.

He was the one who brought it to your attention that you could access the student version for your son.

Autocad LT is a 2D program, Autocad is a 3D program, but it is rather dated compared to newer parametric modeling programs.

There is plenty you can do with Autocad in 3D, that is the software I use on a daily basis, but JD has a long history of advising and teaching

new users to invest their time and energy wisely, by learning new technology, so as to maximize their returns. :|

Don't believe everything you read (not that I think there is much danger of that), I am no more a deity than the next guy,

but I have posted a lot, whence the automagic designation in my profile. :)

Bilbo: Take a look at the program called FreeCAD: An open source parametric 3D CAD modeler.

http://www.freecadweb.org/

Here is another one called OpenSCAD.

http://www.openscad.org/

And finally there is the 3D drawing tool called Sketchup. Note there is a free version and a pro version. The pro version will cost you however.

http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

Edited by ReMark

OMG, you are unbelievable.

I don't want to seem like an ingrate.

I could use some information.

Clearly, I've been out of the loop for awhile now and as I even mentioned I am aware in my first post, the world has moved on.

But dude, you freaking drip of your own sense of superiority so bad if is chaffing.

Why else would you self-describe YOURSELF as LUMINOUS.

I’ve encountered your type before plenty.

And just so you know, in my book,and probably most other people’s books, anyone that WE might think to ourselves could be considered a “luminous being” would also demonstrate HUMILITY.

So don’t start looking down your nose at me, begging for proof of your own statements here in this very thread.

can we stay on topic. this is a technical forum, not a forum for hurt feelings.

Hi Bilbo, I hope our resident "know-it-all" hasn't run you off yet. There are a few options available for you to try. Remark's last post had a few good options in it.

I know it hard to believe that we ALL just don't drop AutoCAD and use inventor for everything, so silly of us. Continue to ask your questions there are plenty of us who will be glad to help out.

Sean

Edited by f700es
"typo"

AutoCAD is an all purpose tool albeit a "dinosaur". Despite that fact one would be hard pressed to convince the millions of users to toss it away in favor of a "modern" CAD program.

I use AutoCAD to hammer nails. I'd use a nailgun but I am afraid I'll accidentally shoot someone in the forehead with it.

It would be a jump but it would give the OP a tool to play with and learn on. To me this is a better option than say FreeCAD with is not bad but not really ready for production imho. InvFusion has some spit and polish on it at least. A current version of AutoCAD would work for his needs but I don't know of any free versions for him.