Windows 8 and AutoCAD

muck

To my knowledge no versions are currently supported in Windows 8 but that doesn't mean you can't run them. All it really means if you have any problems you are on your own when it comes to solving them.

Let us know how the experiment works out. I would certainly be interested even though I have no plans to move to Win8 as Win7 is just fine.

BTW...in the last two days I have heard or read of Win8 being referred to as "Me3" and "Vista 2". Take it for what its worth.

I am wrong. AutoDesk says the following products have been tested and will run under Windows 8....

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19048377&linkID=9240617

Edited by ReMark

I can't speak from too much experience on Windows 8, but what I can tell you is that most of the IT people I run into these days have no plans whatsoever to switch to Windows 8 because as most of them tell me, at least 1/2 of their apps will not run on it. It's like this wonderful old scanner I have at home that I purchases way back in 1997. It still works great but if you run anything later Windows 2000, it's limited and if you run anything later than Windows XP, you're SOL...it simply will not work with these later operating systems. I think our friends at M$ are in for a surprise when they find out just how many people have too big of an investment in custom software apps which will not work on Windows 8 and they end up not making any upgrades.

I'm in the market right now for a laptop and all I am specifying Windows 7.

Note: I amended my first post with a link to the AutoDesk website re: Win8.

What versions of AutoCAD will run in Windows 8 Is there

any problems with this new operating system?

Thank you,

I have a spare laptop which is about 5 years old running Win 8 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012. No issues what so ever. Other than the annoying 'metro' interface of W8 it works the same as W7. Once in AutoCAD there is no difference what so ever.

• 2 months later...
most of the IT people I run into these days have no plans whatsoever to switch to Windows 8 because as most of them tell me, at least 1/2 of their apps will not run on it.
Hmm well I know a lot of programmers (though of course they aren't really just IT people) who are planning to or already have switched and I was informed that most programmes/apps etc should run on Win8.

To the rest of the discussion... well I've heard that AutoCAD can work on it but some people have had problems. Rly sucks :(

Also, I know some people don't like win8 but I have already tried it and it is comprehensive and works well, and there is a clear improvement from win7. I think some people just don't like change. Just making the point that it's really not bad so don't get put off :)

I have a spare laptop which is about 5 years old running Win 8 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012. No issues what so ever. Other than the annoying 'metro' interface of W8 it works the same as W7. Once in AutoCAD there is no difference what so ever.

That's very good to know. The site didn't mention plain AutoCAD supported, yet, but setting to Win 7 compatibility may help. Did you need to do that?

As for the Win 8 metro look, it seems to me that it's like having a fancier Start Menu covering the Desktop. One click and it's back to the Desktop for me. Perhaps it's not quite as simple as that for everything, but I can do most of what I need to do the same 'old' way on my son's new computer by switching this way and then toggling a toolbar on. At work, I still have XP.

That's very good to know. The site didn't mention plain AutoCAD supported, yet, but setting to Win 7 compatibility may help. Did you need to do that?

As for the Win 8 metro look, it seems to me that it's like having a fancier Start Menu covering the Desktop. One click and it's back to the Desktop for me. Perhaps it's not quite as simple as that for everything, but I can do most of what I need to do the same 'old' way on my son's new computer by switching this way and then toggling a toolbar on. At work, I still have XP.

I didn't use a Win 7 compatibility option, just loaded AutoCAD and fired it up. I added a tile in the start-up interface in addition to a shortcut in the regular desktop.

I agree, the start-up interface is just a large start menu, toggle to desktop and get to work.