Is there a way to set a tolerance for trimming lines so minuscule gaps trim?

kizaerf

The lines are so close that I cannot even see a gap but apparently there is a minuscule gap therefore the lines aren't trimming. Rather than extend all of them, is there a way to adjust the tolerance so they trim anyway? this could save a lot of time.

Thanks,

K

This is probably a matter of not picking your points correctly. Use object snap when drawing. Using a zero radius fillet with trim mode on can fix errant picks by filling those gaps.

That is really annoying when that happens, and while it would be nice if there is a tolerance that you can set, a runner up in efficiency is using the shift key while trimming to extend a line instead and then you can release the shift key and go back to trimming.

Edited by Ender181
typo

If there is a gap then it sounds like you need to extend rather than trim. Maybe you can clarify what it is you are trying to do.

Assuming "gaps" are the problem, you can set EDGEMODE to 1 and still TRIM the object(s) even with "gaps", but if there are indeed "gaps" there's really no fix other than verifying what's not correct (the endpoint, or the intersecting geometry) and correcting accordingly. FILLETing will close a corner, but it doesn't necessarily put the corner in the correct place if the geometry is not precisely located to begin with.

.... FILLETing will close a corner....

...and to do that - set Fillet Radius = 0.

It will trim and extend as needed.

Attach an example file here that you are having difficulty with (you should not be experiencing this difficulty) for other tips, tricks and suggestions.

...and to do that - set Fillet Radius = 0.

It will trim and extend as needed.

I guess it wasn't clear enough when I said:

Using a zero radius fillet with trim mode on can fix ... those gaps.

Maybe something else is going on here? In all my years of AutoCAD I have never had gaps when closing corners (fillets). I'd like to watch the OPs work flow and see what is going on. I sense some type of bad drawing habit perhaps.

Maybe something else is going on here? In all my years of AutoCAD I have never had gaps when closing corners (fillets). I'd like to watch the OPs work flow and see what is going on. I sense some type of bad drawing habit perhaps.

So you probably agree with this:

This is probably a matter of not picking your points correctly. Use object snap when drawing.

Assuming "gaps" are the problem, you can set EDGEMODE to 1 and still TRIM the object(s) even with "gaps", but if there are indeed "gaps" there's really no fix other than verifying what's not correct (the endpoint, or the intersecting geometry) and correcting accordingly. FILLETing will close a corner, but it doesn't necessarily put the corner in the correct place if the geometry is not precisely located to begin with.

THANK YOU. This is exactly it.

You've got answers on how to "fix" the gaps but have you figured out what is causing them in the first place?

Depending on what you are drawing, there may be other issues that are not being addressed.

You've got answers on how to "fix" the gaps but have you figured out what is causing them in the first place?

Depending on what you are drawing, there may be other issues that are not being addressed.

I appreciate you wanting to dig deeper but in this instance, I am only concerned as to how to fix them. What is causing them is irrelevant to me for I did not create the drawing. My own drawings are gap free and i don't a lesson on how to fillet and snap but appreciate the enthusiasm. Thank you.

I wish I knew that from the start. My responses were hedged a bit because I though the gaps were a result of your drafting and did not want to insult you.