Top Posters In This Topic

• CyberAngel

• rkmcswain

• Jack_O'neill

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

If you cannot get the scanner to not dither like that, then you can always post-process the TIF through XNView. As an example I took your new.tif:

1. Then converted it into a True Colour (i.e. 24bit) so the filters would work on it.
  2. Used a Filter-->Efect-->Soften 100
  3. Image-->Adjust-->Brightnes/Contrast/etc.

1. Brightness -50
    2. Contrast +75
    3. [*]Image-->Convert to Binary-->Binary (No dither)

The result is attached. You could even save these steps as a batch-mode script for XNView, so you can run it on selected TIFs without needing to open each in turn.

You could try some other values / filters / adjustments for better quality. I just did this quickly, so it's probably not optimal at all.

new1.zip

You could even save these steps as a batch-mode script for XNView, so you can run it on selected TIFs without needing to open each in turn.

You could try some other values / filters / adjustments for better quality. I just did this quickly, so it's probably not optimal at all.

Cool. Thanks!

That scripting feature is another nice thing about XnView. And oh yeah, it's free.

Cool. Thanks!

That scripting feature is another nice thing about XnView. And oh yeah, it's free.

You're welcome!

I also like XN's batch processing! IMO it's way beyond anything I've seen in any of the other image manager apps (ACDSee, IrfanView, Fastone, etc.), even the paid-for ACDSee Pro 2 is rather limited in comparison! You can literally do absolutely everything you could in the editor, in any order you choose, even use plugins! This is definately one of those free proggies which surpasses the pay-for stuff. It even works perfectly with ICC colour profiles (unlike ACDSee which screws them up), which comes in handy when Photoshop saves those CMYK JPGs / embeds profiles in JPG/TIF - no colour shifting as the conversion to RGB / HSV / etc. is much more accurate!

But probably the feature I use 60% of the time in XN is its batch-rename. Even here it's on-par with (if not better than) ACDSee. And then the 2nd most used feature is the batch print, which even works on PDFs (and if you buy the CAD addon on DWG/DWF as well) - although here I like ACDSee's previews more since they're larger, but that's the only + for paying for it, the rest of ACDSee's printing is rather mediocre in comparison. Most wonderfully, there's a native Linux version of XN as well - so I don't need to reboot / VM / WINE to run it!