Problems importing Cad dwg into Sketchup 8 Pro

JBradhurst

I know I've seen many similar posts on this subject, but all the suggestions still haven't fixed my problem?

I'm trying to import a Cad 3d drawing into Sketchup 8 Pro. The cad drawing is saved as 2007. Sketchup shows an import in progress and goes all the way 99% and then waits. I've waited and waited (over an hour), and I realize that it will never import.

Any ideas why it doesn't complete? I've purged and deleted all blocks. It is a large file, but below the 15MB that Sketchup's help site recommends.

My first thought would be that maybe there is some bad geometry in the model that Sketchup doesn't like. Either that or maybe there are some errors in the file. Have you tried running an AUDIT on the file in Autocad?

Was the model created in Autocad or was it created in some other 3D application and then exported to .dwg format?

Did the AUDIT and actually found a bunch of errors, but didn't resolve.

Not sure about if it was originally done in a different program. Totally possibly since I didn't start the drawing. I will find out. If so, what would it take to resolve? Explode everything?

No definitely don't explode everything. That would probably just make matters worse. I was just thinking, if it was created in a different program, maybe it could have become corrupted during the export, and maybe just simply exporting out a new file might fix it. Or maybe go back to the original model, in the other program, and check for problems with the geometry.

If all else fails, try splitting the model up into 2 or 3 separate, smaller, files and import them one at a time.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

• 1 month later...

i'd definitely give exploding everything a shot - assuming you're just importing a 2D drawing. after you do that be sure to run the overkill command, purge, and audit. then save it as a new file. try importing that.

if you wanna take it a step further, after you complete the above, copy and paste all into a new drawing.

i'd definitely give exploding everything a shot - assuming you're just importing a 2D drawing.

He's not importing a 2D drawing.

I'm trying to import a Cad 3d drawing into Sketchup 8 Pro.

• 2 years later...

After my experience and reading at this forum, the reason why your import is unsuccessful is because of the file size of your .dwg file is above 15MB. You can recognize a failed import when the loading bar goes straight to 99% without the info "merging entities" is written. When a successful import is in progress the bar will go gradually instead of jumping to 99%

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/38578

Hope this helps