Can some one help me with stuctural drafting.Thank the lord is back

Autocadstudent

I agree with you remark, i sounded like my wife describing things too.

i have never seen that part of a building before. thank you guys.

I finished the fundation plan. now am going to start the south elevation. i will ask if i have more question. i hope is ok with you guys.

why did the booklet ask me to draw the border and title box in inches (11"x17") but i placed the i beams 18' apart. is the school tricking me or this is what it is in the real drafting world?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Autocadstudent

• ReMark

• Car5858

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The school could be either 1) expecting you to create a scaled drawing much like one would on the drafting board or 2) expecting you to use a paper space layout for your title block and window and create a viewport to see the objects you created back in model space. It's either/or so read your instructions it should tell you what is expected of you.

is the school tricking me or this is what it is in the real drafting world?

No tricks, the columns really are 18 feet apart in model space, and the paper really is 11"x17" in paperspace. If you plot at a scale of 1/4" = 1'-0" the columns are still 18' feet apart, but your model is scaled down by a factor of 48, so they'll only measure 4 1/2" apart on the paper.

http://screencast.com/t/sSsn8vdO3

Please help. i started reading the south elevation part of the project but still don't get it. is the plan same as the top view, south elevation same as the front view and section same as the right side view?

Top view and plan view are one in the same.

Front and side elevations can also be referred to by compass direction. Do you have any idea which way is North? If you do then always keep this in mind: When YOU are facing North, EAST will always be to your right. You were never in the Cub Scouts?

Edited by ReMark

was not cub scout.no I don't know the north. So the south elevation is where you see the undergound?

Without a North arrow it would be difficult to say which elevation you are looking at. There was no indication in your project handout as to which direction North might lie in? Is it left up to the student? What is the name of the drawing you are currently working on?

When you said the north i was thinking about some tipe of view. yes the north arrow indicates the long side of the building(which will be at the top of the sheet) as the north elevation. i angled the north arrow at N12d14'0"e. i went back to the foundation plan part of the project and that's what it says. so if the long side of the building is the side with the five w12x152. is that the view i have to show?

Refer to post 17, this is what you should see. The horz. section line with the indicators tells you what direction you are looking. So If you are looking at the building you would see an elevation view of the bottom line on the image in post 17. This is called the South Elevation. By using copy and paste, you can quickly lay out this elevation in the new drawing.

Edited by Car5858

ok, so from the horizontal cutting line to to the bottom of the drawing (to the d bubble) that will be the south elevation. from that same cutting to bubble A will be the north elevation with out counting the vertical cutting linr. is that right?

since the horizontal cutting line is in the middle. i will be copying a 72' long x 27' high rectangle. man am i even close to what you are traying to tell me car5858?

though what is up with the building structure

i would expect to see a concrete cylinder under the foundation to which the I beams or 6*6 are supported by

example

5'O/s CLAB 5'R Bell? is what the site surveyor would be drawing on the flags

five foot off set center line A-B

five foot Radius Bell

the bell is to have a larger surface area for support at the bottom to prevent movement of the piers

il post Example drawing file--as soon as i fix my Acad, ... Acad Mechanical is messing around with it :(Capture2.jpg

Edited by Raudel Solis

The screen shots that I have posted were dated 2009, requirements may have changed. Penn Foster had sent me a distorted hand out much like the screen shot as an example. If the student requests assistance from Penn Foster they will send something like the drawing that is in question.

There is a discription of the footing and piers that the columns are on. We have to wait for the student to get to that section.

As far as the learning goes we are not doing the drawing for the students, they still have to do them on there own. When trying to explain certian aspects of the drawing instruction, a picture helps the student to understand what is required.

I also advise the students to visit various construction sites, and look for the details of the building the is under construction. They get a better idea of what they are drawing with this experience.

Raudel, The peirs are wiewal in the 3 screen shots, just not detailed.

are yall posting the actual completed drawings he is working on?

this eliminates the ability to learn :(

Given the level of actual discernable detail the images provide I doubt that the student in this case is going to benefit as much as you think. Images are posted instead of drawing files to prevent the student from downloading them and submitting the work as his own. We're pretty careful that way.

Before i created this thread i had no clue what the "skelton" of a building looked like, i was not familliar with structural material. I did not now how to start my drawing.But thanks to all of you guys advice i cen see clearlly now. the images you guys posted helped me start my own drawing.

I really appreciate the help i get from all of you.