Gaming Computer for CAD

Epicurwin

Edit: Sorry, I just saw the hardware section. I was only looking at the main sections when I posted this. :(

We've been looking at gaming computers for the office. My boss said there was no real difference between gaming computers and workstations. I was skeptical becuase he hasn't been involved with cad work for many years, but it seems that he may be correct from what I've seen online.

My question is whether this would be suitable for our needs, he seems fixed on getting a Dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dpcwnz1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=alienware-aurora-r4

It doesn't appear that it save the changes I've made so I'll point them out:

Windows 7 ult (I think professional might work)

Memory 16 GB

2 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

We would buy monitors seperately to save money or use ones we have. We need the computers to run Revit MEP 2013, AutoCAD MEP 2013 and NavisWorks 2013 Manager.

We also have another computer that we think would possibly work with an upgrade. We need it to use all the same programs. When we've tried using 2010 on it before it locked up when we started 3d work (it was fine with 2d.) We ended up using 2007 for the 3d work. The person that we had doing IT at the time mentioned that it might be because of the windows xp is bottelnecking the system. The video card is "designed" for cad but I thinkt the memory is a bit low.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @2.83GHz

3 GB of RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700

We also need to look at getting a laptop that can handle all the programs for when we go into the field. I might just try getting another Alienware.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Your boss is right and wrong at the same time. Of course there's a difference, but they are minimal nowadays since OpenGL requirements are now being replaced by DirectX/D3D extensions for 3D design.

And those specs on the WinXP system are beyond outdated. Need to revamp that for sure.

My personal computer is an Asus g-73jh. It is an amazing computer for what I do on it (AutoCAD Mechanical 2012, Inventor 2012, Revit, Photoshop, 3DS Max, and Maya.) Did I mention it looks AMAZING?!? Ive had it for almost a year and no problems at all. I owned an XPS previously and it would constantly overheat. No overheating issues with this laptop. ill post a link to the asus site and you can check it out for yourself. Only drawback I had with my machine is that its a tad heavy and a little bigger than most 17" laptops.

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G73Jh/#specifications

Ok, so is the Alienware I picked overdone or lacking in some way? Is it overpriced?

Is the XP even worth updating or should be just get another new computer?

@DoctorDrake

I couldn't find information on the cost of that computer.

@DoctorDrake

I couldn't find information on the cost of that computer.

I paid $1100 for mine but i'm almost positive its had a price drop since then. try bestbuy or something?

A workstation computer is not defined by its GPU alone, but by the CPU (a Xeon if Intel based), GPU, quality of components, etc.

There are graphics cards for the Gamers and for 3D CAD use. The ones for 3D CAD use have very specialized drivers to help with rendering, beyond that 3D is going to be about the same on either one.

Now a Workstation - vs - basic computer, there is a big difference but determining if it is worth it or not is up to the buyers. I like Dell's workstations and recently traded in a 6 year old one for a new one. I never had a single issue with it while the bargain basement Dell's I am surrounded by only last two years (+/-) and have to be replaced. I would suggest buying one of what ever you choose and try it out to see how it goes. If you go the lower priced route maybe buy one Precision Workstation and compare it to the others over time and then you will have some of your own data for the next time you are ready to replace computers.

A workstation computer is not defined by its GPU alone, but by the CPU (a Xeon if Intel based), GPU, quality of components, etc.
Exactly. Hard drives are another plus... you get 24/7 rated drives in most Workstations, better RAID controllers, etc.

And through the years I've found that Workstation grade laptops are a must, but desktops, you can slide by with a "gaming rig".

My home computer was originally put together by a college student for gaming. I didn't change a thing when I bought it off him to use for CAD. I even kept the gaming card as I don't do any renderings but I do a lot of 3D work which the card handles with no problem.

Technically very few rendering engines actually use the GPU for rendering. Most still use the CPU for this. I don't think that the default Mental Ray that comes with Max or Maya is GPU enabled. Some engines are going this route so be sure to do your homework before you buy. Oh, noting wrong with a Dell as long as the specs are OK ;)

There are graphics cards for the Gamers and for 3D CAD use. The ones for 3D CAD use have very specialized drivers to help with rendering, beyond that 3D is going to be about the same on either one....

I suspect this is a bit out of date. As far as I can determine expensive CAD cards are a waste of money. The game industry is driving the state of the art of all graphics and the CAD companies are adapting to that and utilizing that technology driver. I will try to post source urls later today.

I suspect this is a bit out of date. As far as I can determine expensive CAD cards are a waste of money. The game industry is driving the state of the art of all graphics and the CAD companies are adapting to that and utilizing that technology driver. I will try to post source urls later today.
I have a friend who's a programmer at a company that specializes in programming live 3D environment applications for iPads/iPhones, etc. He and I were talking about this the other day actually, and he was stating that Microsoft (DirectX/D3D) apparently has been putting a ton of effort into their driver package, where as OpenGL (who was alone in competition for many years) got lazy. Of course, the main points he was making was way, way over my head, but I could follow a little of what he was saying.

Not according to this article anyway.

http://www.cadalyst.com/hardware/graphics-cards/setting-a-cad-speed-record-14292

Umm, good article but unless I missed it he compared an older Quadro 1700 to a newer Quadro 2000 not a Quadro to a GeForce. I completely agree that a newer card will almost always be better, that is if the drivers are optimized for the application and current OS.

Not according to this article anyway.

I noticed that article referred to SolidWorks use.

I should have qualified my earlier statement in regards to Autodesk products.

I am no expert in this area but search terms on comments by Autodesk employee "Norbet" (or was it Norbert?) graphics cards....

gets far deeper than I care or need to know, but his recommendation is to put your money elsewhere in the system.

And from what I gather (again no deep research) for some reason SolidWorks seems to be sticking with opengl graphics.

I'll allow others to flesh out the details finding the research and correct any statements I make in this area.

Umm, good article but unless I missed it he compared an older Quadro 1700 to a newer Quadro 2000 not a Quadro to a GeForce. I completely agree that a newer card will almost always be better, that is if the drivers are optimized for the application and current OS.

I think we are all on the same side of this issue and just looking at it slightly different. I have maintained for a long time that the cards are basically the same thing and the CAD cards are higher in price only because the manufacturer knows they can get more money for them. They justify the sky high prices by providing a unique driver for various CAD programs.

As I said in my first post, 3D basically will be the same regardless of the card, and will only be noticed by those doing rendering and working on large models, and only for the cards that are now taking on the rendering on the GPU.

I think the card itself is exactly the same (GPU, chipset, hardware, etc) between the gaming card and the workstation equivalent, it's the OpenGL vs the Mini OpenGL driver extensions that hike up the price for the workstation cards.