HELP NEEDED ABOUT 3d max flag

ali_haider_engr

hi All i am using 3d max 8 i made flag animation using wind and cloth it works but when i render the key framed that flag fly away some whre in atmosphere so what i have to do i mean how can i save that animation in any video formato:)

What do you mean it flies away? Are you saying that it actually leaves the camera view and disappears? I don't see how that could happen? Perhaps you need a tutorial: http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1232&bih=764&q=3ds+max+flag+animation&btnG=Google+Search

Also, in the future, please use a smaller font size when posting questions. ;)

@cad64 yes when i render it with key frames it leaves the envoirnment , camera and fly away . how can i save the animation???? i have learnt that tutorial u mentioned in link these tutorial tell the waving of the flag up to that i can also make but in these tutorials saving of that animation is not told so plz tell me how can i save that in video format

• 1 month later...

oh come on please dont refer people to other tutorials.. help is the reason they signed up to this forum... here is the process in animating a flag...

What you need

A work station or adequate computer capable of simulating the flag...

recommended... Core i5 minimum. 4gb of ram. 512 - 1gb graphics with a core speed of 550+ mhz

to create the animation tutorial i will use 3ds max 2012 it is the same in older 3ds max versions.

STEP 1...

configure 3ds max units by going to Customize and then units setup

1.PNG

Step 2.

Set up your units to REAL WORLD UNITS, i will use american units.

Feet w/decimal inches.

2.PNG

Step 3.. i will now research flag pole sizes and dimensions for flags in relation to flag pole height . i found that a flag pole height for architectural purposes ranges from 20-80'

http://www.united-states-flag.com/selecting-flagpole.html

from this site i found a spec sheet.. which i will now use to model a flag pole *with a height of 60 feet which will sustain a flag that measures a minimum of 8*12 feet and a maximum of 12*18 feet.

Step 4.

I will now look up reference images from the web to get an idea of how my flag pole will look.

http://tinyurl.com/62l9c7m

Step 5. I will now commence in the modeling of the flag pole.. i can use to methods.. i can either create a plain boring straight cylinder measuring a height of 60 feet.. or i can get interesting by utilizing the inset feature in 3ds max..

To start i will create a the base for the flag pole a simple 4 by 4 foot box with a height of 8 inches will sustain for the scene.. although in Real life engineering is put into the design in order to sustain the various stresses it will encounter.

enough of that.. now that i created the base i will create a cylinder with a 4 inch radius and a height of 10 feet "notice the segments"

3.PNG

Step 5.

I will now convert the cylinder to an editable polygon by right clicking and selecting "convert to-Editable poly"

I will now switch to the polygon sub object level

4.PNG

Step 6 Select the top polygon and inset it by .75"

to bring up the parameter control i can "shift + click inset"

5.jpg

Step 7.

Extrude the newly created polygon by 30 feet

same as before i can "SHIFT+CLICK extrude" to access the parameter controls.

6.PNG

Step 8.

Now i am at 40 feet. Now i will inset the top polygon this time by 0'.5"

7.PNG

Step 9.

finally i will extrude by the final 20 feet needed to attain the 60' Height.

When i input 20 feet into 3ds max it may show up as 19'12" which is equal to 20 feet.

8.PNG

Step 10.

Now that my flag pole is at the desired height of 60 feet it is now up to me weather or not i add extra details to the top of the flag pole "flagpole ornament.. in this case i will not add any ornaments or decals...

What i will now do is create a plane... Refering to the previous dimension sheet i will create a plane that measure 8 by 12 feet. press the T key to view the top viewport and created the plane.. and give it a hell of a lot of polygons..:twisted: the amount of segments you utilize will be limited by your system specs i will settle for 80 length and width segments

9.jpg

Step 11. I will configure my snap to guides because they will be needed for the next steps.. to activate and deactivate snaps i can press the S key on the keyboard.. to configure snaps i must RIGHT click the button on the bar.

this will cause a small window to open.. on this window i will go to the SNAPS tab and select only VERTEX and MIDPOINT. everything else must be unchecked.

10.PNG

STEP 12 now that i have created my plane and configured my snap to guides i will rotate it to face either the left,right,front, or back viewport and align it to my flagpole by adjusting its pivot point..

first i will adjust my planes pivot point by going to the hierarchy tab and clicking affect pivot point only.now with the mouse over the plane i will right click and select "MOVE" this will make the gizmo appear if it hasn't already.. if the gizmo has not appeared press the X key, if it has not appeared as shown below ?? i dont know.

11.PNG

step 13. now i will align my pivot point to the far left by snapping to any vertex that is the farthest to the left on my plane.

i can either drag along 1 axis or hover my mouse until i see a square highlight meaning i can move along both X and Y axis. once i have aligned my pivot point i will turn off "affect pivot point only"

12.PNG

Step 14.

now with "affect pivot point only" off i will rotate my plane so that it stands just as it would be positioned on a flag pole. to do this correctly i will press the A key on the keyboard which will toggle the angle snaps on i will make sure to only rotate it on "1" AXIS to do this i will hover over the RED X axis which will highlight it yellow meaning it will only rotate on that axis.

MODERATOR... PLEASE ALLOW ME TO POST MORE THAN 12 IMAGES PER POST in order to continue:unsure:

oh come on please dont refer people to other tutorials.. help is the reason they signed up to this forum...

And help is what I gave him. As I've said numerous times before, I DO NOT DO ANIMATION. And since I'm the only Max user here, as is evident by the fact that I am the only one who responds to questions in this section of the forum, I offer help the best way I can. And occasionally that help comes in the form of referral to an already available tutorial. If you don't like that, then maybe you should be more active in the forum and respond to posts in a timely manner, instead of 6 weeks later.

And by the way, moderators have no control over the number of images you can upload in one post. That is controlled by the forum software and only the adminstator can make that change.

And help is what I gave him. As I've said numerous times before, I DO NOT DO ANIMATION..

maybe but i have seen many post referring to other offsite tutorials so yeah...

anyways delete the previous post will ya? o:)

il provide a link to the completed tutorial

So you're going to post a link to an offsite tutorial? :?

i already posted the link because i was limited to 12 images on this forum

I created the tutorial between 9:45 and 11:27 pm Central time today 10/21/2011