Veteran trying to decide which AutoCAD training program to take

Rhino68W

Hey everyone! As you can see I am a new member. I have ZERO CAD experience and will soon be enrolling in some sort of AutoCAD online program so I can get certified. It will have to be a 100% online and self-paced program as I am employed full-time and a new father. My career path includes both creating stainless steel shop drawings for customers to review and approve, and creating kitchen equipment floor plans and MEP's from an architect's base plan backgrounds.

I will be using my Montgomery GI Bill to pay for the school, but have only managed to find 2 courses (Ashworth College & Penn Foster :cry:) which are 100% online and self-paced. However both are only partially covered by the VA since they are considered correspondence courses. I hope to find a certification course that is fully covered though, but the sooner I start the training the sooner I can start working on that side of things. The actual degree path will come a little later on once I start working for myself.

And am very much so a "figure it out" kind of guy so these courses not being very in depth isn't a huge issue. I will also get hands on training from people who are currently doing the job I hope to be in one day.

Any guidance and tips are greatly appreciated!

Welcome to CADTutor Rhino. :)

If you do a search For Penn Foster on CADTutor, you will very quickly, and without investing a cent, learn a few things that may serve you well.

Penn Foster seems to be lacking on a great many levels, which you will figure out if you read a few frantic posts by their students.

ReMark, who is a very prolific forum member has no doubt answered more questions from Penn Foster students in the last 5 years than all of the instructors combined.

One of their instructors, actually told a student, that if there was a problem, to just create a new post on, or search on CADTutor.

There are lots of free options available, the one I used was MYCADSITE.com, which is excellent, and will very quickly take you through the basics, and beyond.

No doubt, lots of folks will respond to this thread, so stay tuned.

There is quite a range of different software to choose from.

Good luck, I started learning cad at age 58, and I really love doing it. :beer:

You sound pretty self motivated, in which case you could probably teach yourself all you would need to know, to get your feet wet with Autocad, at your own pace, in a very short time, at MYCADSITE.com .

Certification is not nearly as important as your ability to draw what you need to, accurately, neatly and unambiguously.

If you dive into self teaching at no cost, and unconfined by the rigors of a one size fits all instruction, you might be pleasantly surprised.

If need be you could later take an Autocad certification test, at your own time and place.

Edited by Dadgad

Hi Rhino68W they make a CAD program expressly for you it called Rhino

All kidding aside welcome to CADTutor. I am really not recommending rhino because i am not qualified to do so.

I'm not local so I am not too helpful for training.

I'm a figure it out kind of guy also. I would recommend you make a project for yourself. If you want going to something familiar like creating "stainless steel shop drawings" and try to replicate it in a software package alway a good way to go.

The forum is how I learn to use AutoCAD. Provide no real training from work.

The AutoCAD Tutorials on this site are good and free. Once opening AutoCAD in the Start Tab there are some simple Getting Started Videos. Lynda.com also is a great service also.

However AutoCAD is not the only way to go so do a bit of research into what software is the most appropriate for the Job.

If you ever need help this Forum is a gold mine of knowledge.

Welcome and Good luck at getting started.

I wont go into if you have an Autocad or not, but if not download Drafsight its free. Start by drawing something simple like a stainless rectang table, then get more complicated. Search for Penn foster you will find lots of examples of how to draw difficult parts especially multiple curves. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Take a photo of your plan and post as an image. Then advice on how to draw will follow. You do though need more posts to do this. Someone may give you a email

and they will post.

Remember F1 will bring up Help.

But like sunny turtle start with the basics

Draw a line learn how to imply a length and angle

" an arc the various options like start end radius, 3 pts

circle

trim

extend

using F8 to force ortho

osnap to help you draw accurately also F3 to turn on and off

Dimensions

If you want the best kitchen equipment done in Autocad search David Bethel here he posts lots of great images. All in 3D.

An Example http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?99518-Retail-Island-Display

As suggested by BIGAL, just click on the CADTutor home page, and look at the image of the week, which is by David, and falls right into the sort of work discussed previously.

Welcome to CADTutor Rhino. :)

If you do a search For Penn Foster on CADTutor, you will very quickly, and without investing a cent, learn a few things that may serve you well.

Penn Foster seems to be lacking on a great many levels, which you will figure out if you read a few frantic posts by their students.

ReMark, who is a very prolific forum member has no doubt answered more questions from Penn Foster students in the last 5 years than all of the instructors combined.

One of their instructors, actually told a student, that if there was a problem, to just create a new post on, or search on CADTutor.

I did that while lurking for a few days lol. I saw that many students were requesting help which was a big red flag. Ashworth is at the top of my list right now though. I read somewhere (not sure where) that they underwent a change in the higher up positions a few years back and have made great progress towards being a better product for their students. We'll see...

There are lots of free options available, the one I used was MYCADSITE.com, which is excellent, and will very quickly take you through the basics, and beyond.

No doubt, lots of folks will respond to this thread, so stay tuned.

There is quite a range of different software to choose from.

Good luck, I started learning cad at age 58, and I really love doing it. :beer:

You sound pretty self motivated, in which case you could probably teach yourself all you would need to know, to get your feet wet with Autocad, at your own pace, in a very short time, at MYCADSITE.com .

Certification is not nearly as important as your ability to draw what you need to, accurately, neatly and unambiguously.

If you dive into self teaching at no cost, and unconfined by the rigors of a one size fits all instruction, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately for me to make a lateral move within my job I will need some sort of credentials. I work for a large company so liability is important which is understandable. The certification is merely the first step in the process for me.

If need be you could later take an Autocad certification test, at your own time and place.

Thank you for your input! Comments in Red

I wont go into if you have an Autocad or not, but if not download Drafsight its free. Start by drawing something simple like a stainless rectang table, then get more complicated. Search for Penn foster you will find lots of examples of how to draw difficult parts especially multiple curves. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Take a photo of your plan and post as an image. Then advice on how to draw will follow. You do though need more posts to do this. Someone may give you a email

and they will post.

Remember F1 will bring up Help.

But like sunny turtle start with the basics

Draw a line learn how to imply a length and angle

" an arc the various options like start end radius, 3 pts

circle

trim

extend

using F8 to force ortho

osnap to help you draw accurately also F3 to turn on and off

Dimensions

I will look into Drafsight. I had planned on doing what Sunny Turtle mentioned and starting from the bottom.

I will look into Drafsight. I had planned on doing what Sunny Turtle mentioned and starting from the bottom.
Hey Rhino, Dallas neighbor here (Forney, actually). My wife and I will be in your parts for the Dwight Yoakam concert next month.

I'm in the MEP realm. AutoCAD is still used for MEP drafting, but Revit is becoming the standard in today's commercial MEP design and construction. I would suggest you consider Revit training if you wish to go down this road.

-TZ

From one Vet to another, Have you looked at any of the local colleges in the area? I used my TA before I retired for most of my degree at the local technical college. There is also a few CAD classes in the Engineering program at my local state university, no need to take the whole 4 yr degree to take them unless you want to.

Air Assault!

Welcome to CADTutor Rhino

Guys, thanks for the compliments !

I assumed that you are talking about the commercial

food service industry when you mentioned stainless,

not residential.

In my experience, knowledge of the fabrication and

back of house operations is more important than Autocad.

This is especially true if you are working in a 2D only

world. Learning basic AutoCAD is really pretty straight

forward. There are plenty of us around that are self

taught with the help of forums like this. I probably

shouldn't admit it, but I've never taken a class in 25+

years of working with AutoCAD.

If you are with an established design house, they will

probably have a KCL license. It is a repository for CAD

symbols provided by various manufactures.

If you are interested in doing 3D custom work, that's an

entirely different animal.

You mentioned shop drawings. I have customers that have

tried using their manufacturing software ( Solid Works )

to create drawing for approval. With limited success.

That's probably 1 reason they are my customers. AutoCAD

is still the most used because of it's flexibility. I

have not seen many Revit based shop drawings.

Our industry is in a bit of a flux right now. Revit was

supposed to be the answer to all problems and the godsend

for all time. It hasn't quite work out that way.

The numbers I keep hearing the ring true is that 80% of

all food service projects are still done in Autocad. That

said, 80% of all very large projects ( 1m to 2m $) are being

done in Revit. Especially if government money is involved.

( Rant on )

Revit is a BIM application. I live in the only city in

the US the makes nuclear powered aircraft carriers and 1

of 2 that make nuclear submarines. BIMs system makes sense

for these. A commercial kitchen isn't quite the same.

Let's take a new elementary school in a small school district

with limited funds.

* A Revit project will cost the end user twice what an

AutoCAD project will in design fees.

* To fully use the information in the designs, the as built

drawings must be accurate. Any substitutions made during

the bid and supply process must be accounted for. Also

the MEPs must be dead on.

* The facilities department must have a Revit license ( not cheap )

* They must also have a Revit operator ( not cheap )

* The thing I find most over sold is that the information becomes

outdated very quickly in our field. Manufactures change model

numbers, suppliers and designs faster than I change shoes.

It is pretty useless looking for a parts manual on line for a

10 year old freezer that's been out of production for 5 year.

Or the manufacture has been acquired by a competitor and their

lines discontinued.

( Rant off )

Good luck in you ventures and feel free to ask any questions

that you may come upon.

Regards -David

My 1 big suggestion if you chose AutoCAD. LEARN THE COMMAND LINE !

Edited by David Bethel

David, my first CAD job was at a company named Classic Stainless. Their bread and butter was kitchen equipment. 75% of their work was kitchen. The rest was all types of fab stuff that varied... just specialty projects. So I'm familiar with the industry in a minimal way.

I will say that the BIM world using Revit hasn't trickled down this far yet - down to industries such as commercial kitchens. I believe you without question if you say 80% of your industry is still using AutoCAD. But it will use Revit eventually. I have no doubt in my mind. What it'll take is the manufacturer's getting on board and releasing BIM related files instead of 2D cut sheets. Or, it'll take a few companies making the leap. It may take ten or more years, but it'll eventually happen. There will be no other option... eventually, anyways. GC's and building facilities management and other design firms will demand that it goes to the Revit platform... or use some type of good IFC option so it can be utilized in programs like Revit, Synchro/Navisworks, COBie compliant data exchanges and so forth.

Creating content in Revit is not difficult at all. It would be quite easy actually. But what an overhaul it would be with some companies... yikes. Definitely an undertaking. I will say this: any kitchen company that can advertise native Revit Families for all their outputs will automatically get the job in certain projects. As in, no question - all other bids off the table, period.

I helped Refrigeration Design Technologies (aka RDT) based out of Waxahachie, TX build their content to be available for kitchen consultants due to increasing demand. The owner of RDT and I are good friends. The demand is coming stronger and stronger from what he says. I'm not sure who it will fall under to create the content in the industry, but it will, eventually. Just as AutoCAD pushed out hand drafters eventually in the mid 80's and into the 90's. I see it as the same scenario.

My $0.02 worth anyways.

-TZ

David, my first CAD job was at a company named Classic Stainless.

Interesting thoughts Tanner. It could be a real shocker to look back at these types of discussions 10 years from now. It could be a new world. Or it could be quid pro quo.

I am by no means proficient in REVIT. It is my understanding that it is not the same tool as Solid Works in the manufacturing process. Is it possible to have Revit output CNC info ?

My $0.02 worth anyways.

-TZ

Knowledge gained from experience is always worth a lot moire than $0.02 -David

Interesting thoughts Tanner. It could be a real shocker to look back at these types of discussions 10 years from now. It could be a new world. Or it could be quid pro quo.

I am by no means proficient in REVIT. It is my understanding that it is not the same tool as Solid Works in the manufacturing process. Is it possible to have Revit output CNC info ?

Oooooh.... well first off Revit and Solidworks are not even close to being in the same category. Not at all. As for manufacturing and CNC, developers are just now starting to produce solutions for this. Revit is far behind in the automated manufacturing part of the industry. 3rd party AutoCAD tools and of course your Inventor/Solidworks have a strong grip in this area.

I don't know how they'll develop Revit into a manufacturing program via 3rd parties, but it'll happen. It's already in the works now. Programs like SysQue for Revit MEP and StrucSoft for architectural framers already has a strong manufacturing process but most users still complain it's in the infancy stage and needs work while other users seem to be getting what they need from it.

What's great for you is the examples you've shown of your parametric AutoCAD based equipment is almost exactly how Revit families work. You could literally recreate your items in Revit almost verbatim in terms of 3D models and functionality. It's quite impressive actually to see your work and how such an older version of AutoCAD can be programmed and automated to function exactly like the new wave of parametric design applications.

-TZ