Group Filter name limitation

khoshravan

I am trying to define a group filter in AC2015

Original name upon creating is Group Filter1.

When I try to change the name it gives following error message in command line

-Layer Layer filter not found

and in a box it says

Unable to modify layers while another command is active

The name I want to put is GF1. Although it appears as the name in filter tree but gave the above errors.

I drag few layers inside this filter butattachment.php?attachmentid=54904&cid=1&stc=1 I can't access what is inside the filter

1.jpg

Unable to modify layers while another command is active

This is your cue. Exit the command and then create the filter.

This is your cue. Exit the command and then create the filter.

Dear Rob

Thanks for your prompt reply.

As soon as I click the group filter icon on the top-left corner of the layer properties manager, the above-mentioned error message appears in command line. Even before I try to rename it. That is:

-LAYER Invalid layer filter name.

When I try to click the folder the next error box appears.

AutoCAD is telling you that you have an active command (-Layer, look at your command line). Exit the command and then create the layer filter.

AutoCAD is telling you that you have an active command (-Layer, look at your command line). Exit the command and then create the layer filter.

It doesn't help

I am aware of this issue.

I exit the command line using esc key but it doesn't help at all.

It is same upon clicking the icon to make a new group filter.:cry:

AutoCAD and your images are saying otherwise. The command line shows the -layer command as being acitve.

How are you bringing up the Layer Properties Manager pallet?

When you have the layer pallet open, click into the drawing area and hit escape. Bring the focus back to the layer pallet and you should be good to go.

By clicking the layer properties icon in the ribbon.

when the -layer command appears in the command line. What does it mean exactly?

It means I am going to define a new layer?

It means I am going to define a group filter or a property layer? This is very confusing for me.

Is there any place to change the settings for layers?

-layer is the command line version of the Layer Properties Manager.

This is what I get on my command line when I hit the button on the ribbon. You can see that after opening the pallet, it cancels the command.

-layer.PNG

By clicking the layer properties icon in the ribbon.

when the -layer command appears in the command line. What does it mean exactly?

It means I am going to define a new layer?

It means I am going to define a group filter or a property layer? This is very confusing for me.

Is there any place to change the settings for layers?

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-E3DD4E11-E47D-4ABA-8D6C-F61D2E16532F

LAYERDLGMODE (System Variable)

LIKE (0)

Controls whether the legacy or the current Layer Properties Manager is opened.

Type: Integer

Saved in: Registry

Initial value: 1

The LAYER command can use either the CLASSICLAYER or the LAYERPALETTE command.

The LAYER command uses the legacy modal Layer Properties Manager. You must dismiss it to continue working.

The LAYER command uses the current modeless Layer Properties Manager. It can remain open as you work.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-E3DD4E11-E47D-4ABA-8D6C-F61D2E16532F

LAYERDLGMODE (System Variable)

LIKE (0)

Controls whether the legacy or the current Layer Properties Manager is opened.

Type: Integer

Saved in: Registry

Initial value: 1

The LAYER command can use either the CLASSICLAYER or the LAYERPALETTE command.

The LAYER command uses the legacy modal Layer Properties Manager. You must dismiss it to continue working.

The LAYER command uses the current modeless Layer Properties Manager. It can remain open as you work.

Dear Tombu

Thanks for your comments.

Changing LAYERDLGMODE to zero solved my problem.

Now I can create group filter with no problem.:)

Although I don't find the cause of the problem, but it is solved.

Thanks for your help.

AutoCAD and your images are saying otherwise. The command line shows the -layer command as being acitve.

When you have the layer pallet open, click into the drawing area and hit escape. Bring the focus back to the layer pallet and you should be good to go.

Dear Rob

I was able to solve my problem by help of Tombu.

Just wanted to say that the message appears in command line (-leyer ...) is the byproduct of clicking 'group filter' icon in layer properties manager.

By changing LAYERDLGMODE parameter into 0 solved this problem. Although the shape of the L.P. manager has changed now but it is no problem.

By changing LAYERDLGMODE parameter into 0 solved this problem. Although the shape of the L.P. manager has changed now but it is no problem.

Not really. You are now using the old version of the layer manager and that may be fine for you. The new version probably still doesn't work.

I found others with the same bug online, but no better solution:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=category%3A8&q=Unable+to+modify+layers+while+another+command+is+active

and

http://graphics.bigresource.com/AutoCad-Group-Layer-Filter-Drag-Drop-or-by-Selection-i52iSg7xU.html

Have you tried switching profiles? Wondering if it's because of some odd setting, AutoCAD has more settings than any other software on earth! May be something you added like an app or lisp reactor.

If you're on Subscription do a support request and please reply back here with the solution if you get one to help out the next person this happens to.

I found others with the same bug online, but no better solution:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=category%3A8&q=Unable+to+modify+layers+while+another+command+is+active

and

http://graphics.bigresource.com/AutoCad-Group-Layer-Filter-Drag-Drop-or-by-Selection-i52iSg7xU.html

Have you tried switching profiles? Wondering if it's because of some odd setting, AutoCAD has more settings than any other software on earth! May be something you added like an app or lisp reactor.

If you're on Subscription do a support request and please reply back here with the solution if you get one to help out the next person this happens to.

I don't know about profiles in AC:(. I have to check. I am very new to AC15 so I haven't set anything yet like app or lisp.

I am not on a subscription:cry:, but If I find something new, I will post it here:).

Rob is correct, I am using the old version of layers but I have no other alternative at present.:lol:

I forgot about the old issues when they introduced the pallet version. I'm on 2014 and am able to leave it open all the time without any issues. The OP's screen shots show 2015.

Civil 3D 2013, 2014 & 2015 here all using the Layer Palette without issue. From what little I could find it's a pretty rare problem that isn't version specific. Found similar posts as far back as 2009.

May need a repair or, reinstall but that seems drastic. Restoring and resetting the acad.cui file might be an easy fix: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Restoring-and-resetting-the-acad-cui-file.html

I'd make a copy of the CUI file first. I keep backups of CUIs and create a new profile whenever I plan to make changes just in case I mess it up. I'm assuming khoshravan has none since he didn't know what a profile was.

Civil 3D 2013, 2014 & 2015 here all using the Layer Palette without issue. From what little I could find it's a pretty rare problem that isn't version specific. Found similar posts as far back as 2009.

May need a repair or, reinstall but that seems drastic. Restoring and resetting the acad.cui file might be an easy fix: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Restoring-and-resetting-the-acad-cui-file.html

I'd make a copy of the CUI file first. I keep backups of CUIs and create a new profile whenever I plan to make changes just in case I mess it up. I'm assuming khoshravan has none since he didn't know what a profile was.

Dear Tombu

Thanks for your post.

I can't access autodesk site:cry:. Is it possible for you to put the text of the link you mentioned?:roll:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Restoring-and-resetting-the-acad-cui-file.html

Restoring and resetting the acad.cui file

Nov 02 2014

Applies to AutoCAD 2007

Like (0) Useful!

Issue:

You would like to undo changes made to your acad.cui file by rolling back to the previous customization state or to the original acad.cui file.

Solution:

Solution

To restore an acad.cui file, in the AutoCAD Customize User Interface right-click on the ACAD element at the top of the tree view, and then click either Restore ACAD.CUI or Reset ACAD.CUI (see graphic below).

Restore

The ACAD.BAK.CUI backup file will be used.

Note: The ACAD.BAK.CUI file is created when you make changes to the current acad.cui file in the AutoCAD Customize User Interface.

Reset

The original acad.cui file will be taken from the C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2007\UserDataCache\Support directory.