Inventor Contract Offer

Bill Tillman

I've received an offer to do contract programming with .NET and Inventor. Was wondering if anybody could clue me in as to what would be a fair hourly rate to charge for my time. It will involve a short training period to acquaint myself with their product lines but I think I can hit the ground running in a short time. Again, this will not be so much preparing drawings as it will be automating the drawing process itself using Inventor and Visual Studio or other API interface.

It depends on how long the Blue piece of string is.

Jokes aside it depends on how long is this project going to take 1-2 days $100 /hr a week $80/hr full time for 3 months say $50/hr = $100,000 a year maybe a bit more.

When we cost a project, civil works we would use say 3.5-5% for design on a $1 million project. How much do you value your cost savings to the client ? This may be a way of working out the rate.

Don't forget the programming time savings by spending a bit of time at start building some libraries of common functions or adding as you go, two lines of code rather than 20, also ensures that company standards are kept particuarly layers and linetypes.

BigAL, thanks for the advice. This looks like a good gig to help with so I'm getting all set and yes this is a team I'll be working with so all the modularity we can get will be needed. Plus Inventor is a different beast and a challenge to be sure.

civil works we would use say 3.5-5% for design

I wish we could charge that :)

Some jobs are as low as 0.5% these days to remain competitive.

Bill how is it going ?

Organic we run at around 3% for a full existing road reconstruction, that includes a full field survey, service locations and construction plans.

Small projects run at like 100%, the construction cost = design cost, jobs at $10k unfortunately they insist some times on a plan rather than a supervisor with years of experience just rebuilding the problem with a bit of technical help.

In simple terms we use $1,000 a day as a unit charge out price, when someone asks how much, just using common sense for how many days to complete project. I dont get paid $1k a day.

We are working on a main drain design at moment say $5 million and our % will be high as we have to get external expertise help which costs the earth like $250/hr.