Thaw Layer in all viewports in drawing

kc27315

Is there a way to thaw a particular layer in every viewport in the drawing.

I had used "layvpi" to freeze a particular layer in every viewport in the drawing, and now I don't want it to be frozen in any viewports. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kc27315

• ReMark

• soleary

• RobDraw

Look in your Help file. The instructions are contained within.

Try this:

In the Layer Properties Manager, select one or more layers to freeze or thaw.

Hold down CTRL to select more than one layer.

Hold down SHIFT to select a sequence of layers.

In the Freeze column, click the icon to freeze or thaw.

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried this, but it only seems to allow me to "viewport-thaw" layers in the current viewport. I need to be able to thaw them in all 50 viewports in the drawing.

kc

I'm only repeating what plain old vanilla AutoCAD says in its Help file. It says a person can select more than one layer or a sequence of layers using either the CTRL or the SHIFT key. Now, maybe Civil 3D is a bit different. I am not familiar with the software. Did you look in your Help file yet?

Then I guess I missed the point of your question. Perhaps you can restate it in a different way?

Maybe you can use this:

^C^C-la;t;*;;

Sort of a scorched earth method.

Suppose I have 20 different layouts, and I have a viewport in each of those. Suppose there is a layer called "Text" that is unfrozen (visible) in model space, but when I go to viewports in the layouts, I don't see the layer through the viewports because the layer "Text" had been frozen just in the viewports. Well, suppose I want to see this layer, not only in model space, but through the viewport windows as well. I don't want to have to double click to go inside all 20 viewports seperately and viewport-thaw the "text" layer 20 times. Is there a way to easily viewport-thaw the "text" layer in all 20 viewports at the same time?

kc

I don't know how to set "New layer VP frozen in all viewports"

I'm looking for how to do this with an existing layer, not a new one.

kc

Select a layout

Type 'vplayer' (enter)

Type 't' (enter)

Enter layer name (in this case 'text') and press enter

Type 'a' (enter)

(enter)

Should do the trick

You have exactly the right idea, except that using vplayer will only work in the current layout. I have 20 or more layouts, with a viewport in each.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, kc

You have exactly the right idea, except that using vplayer will only work in the current layout. I have 20 or more layouts, with a viewport in each.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, kc

Hey kc. That should work in all viewports in all layouts. I have just tried it and it works fine. Try it on a new drawing with just one layer and 2 layouts just to see if it's something particular to the drawing you are working on. Or else, post some of the drawing layouts (if it's not sensitive information) and I'll have a look.

Oh, I remember now. "Vplayer" worked in Civil 3D 08 for freezing and thawing in every viewport, but it doesn't work in civil 3d 09. That's why I found a workaround using "layvpi" for freezing, but I haven't found a workaround for thawing yet. It's kind of frustrating.

Oh, I remember now. "Vplayer" worked in Civil 3D 08 for freezing and thawing in every viewport, but it doesn't work in civil 3d 09. That's why I found a workaround using "layvpi" for freezing, but I haven't found a workaround for thawing yet. It's kind of frustrating.

Oops. Can't help you there then. But here's a suggestion - why don't you start a new thread with the vplayer issue. Find out if it's the same with 'vanilla' autocad '09 and, if so, ask if anyone has found a workaround.....

How about creating a new layer and doing a layer merge?

i.e. Create layer "Text-2". Then merge "Text" into "Text-2". Afterward you change the layer name back to "Text".

I'm familiar with the Layer States manager, and I'm not sure that will help me. I will look into the "Merge" idea though. That just might work. Give me a day or two, as I am very busy at the moment. Thanks so much.

Select a layout

Type 'vplayer' (enter)

Type 't' (enter)

Enter layer name (in this case 'text') and press enter

Type 'a' (enter)

(enter)

Should do the trick

Select all layout (using control or shift)

apply the command Type 'vplayer' (enter)

Then hold down (control or shift) and select the layouts again

then complete in as Soleary sequence

I am using AutoCAD2007 and working

Hasan

• 2 months later...

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. When I "select the layouts again" the command is no longer active, so I can't continue. Do you have any other suggestions.

• 5 years later...