Video Tutorials - feedback needed

CADTutor

In a constant effort to make CADTutor more useful for beginners to AutoCAD, I've begun adding a series of video tutorials to the site. Initially, there are 3 new tutorials:

AutoCAD 2010: Ribbon Basics

AutoCAD 2010: Starting a Command

AutoCAD 2010: Joining Lines, Polylines and Arcs

As these are the first video tutorials I have created, it would be really useful to get some feedback from forum members. Are they about the right length? Is the audio level OK? Are they clear enough etc. What suggestions do you have for improving them. My aim is to produce the best AutoCAD video tutorials for CADTutor so any comments would be welcome.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTutor

• Lee Mac

• lpseifert

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for those :)

Am glad that they are now on here; I've seen these previously elewhere but that particular site is blocked in a work environment here (as at a lot of companies).

Hope hosting them here doesn't impact too much on bandwidth usage and costs.

I found them to be perfectly fine; and I shall be using them as part of my training tools when the company I work for finally gets around to implementing installs of AutoCAD 2010.

Great work, squire :)

Thanks for those :)

Hope hosting them here doesn't impact too much on bandwidth usage and costs.

I'm monitoring that at the moment. The current hosting platform is pretty strong and we currently have plenty of overhead so I'm hopeful that it won't have a major impact.

And BTW, if you have any suggestions for future tutorials, I'd be interested to hear them.

Hi David,

Firstly, excellent video tutorials - some of the clearest I have seen.

I have just finished watching the ribbon tutorial and in terms of feedback... The video quality is superb - I'm not sure what software you have used to record it - but, as I say, extremely clear.

The sound quality is also very clear and the voice-over is crisp. My only criticism is that the tutorial is a bit "slow" in my opinion. Perhaps its unique to the way I learn, but I know next to nothing about the ribbon, and yet I found myself getting the urge to want to skip forward. The topics are explained very well, but in my opinion, I wouldn't dwell too much on each topic, for fear of the viewer losing interest.

That said, its not a major issue.

Lee

My only criticism is that the tutorial is a bit "slow" in my opinion. Perhaps its unique to the way I learn, but I know next to nothing about the ribbon, and yet I found myself getting the urge to want to skip forward. The topics are explained very well, but in my opinion, I wouldn't dwell too much on each topic, for fear of the viewer losing interest.

Hmm, I did wonder about that. I used the same pace I use in the classroom, giving students enough time to think and make notes but maybe for a video it needs to be snappier.

This is no by no means a complaint, but I thought you'd like to know.

This may be isolated to my computer....

When I run the videos in Firefox I don't get the entire screen; e.g. UL corner includes the Move command (no title bar), LR corner just includes the NW quadrant of the CADTutor logo.

Although when I run them in IE, all seems fine.

I believe I have the latest Flashplayer (10?) installed

j1.jpg

When I run the videos in Firefox I don't get the entire screen

No problem on my machine. IE and Firefox both display the videos just fine.

The video and audio are good, but I agree with Lee. I think they are a bit slow paced. Now maybe it's just me, but I've watched many DVD training videos, and although the narrator usually does a good job of describing what they're talking about, they generally move quickly through each topic because the viewer can always back up and watch the video again and again if they don't get what's being discussed. When videos are too long or too slow paced I generally find myself bumping the timeline to move it along. I think 2 minute videos would be a good length for general topics like the line command. Just keep it short and sweet.

Good job though. I think video tutorials will be an excellent addition to the site. Any thoughts on compiling full length videos for sale, to help pay for the site?

No problem on my machine. IE and Firefox both display the videos just fine.

Probably my 'puter then, I wonder why. I'll just view them on IE.

When I run the videos in Firefox I don't get the entire screen;

What version of Firefox are you using? It looks OK in the latest version (3.5)

I think video tutorials will be an excellent addition to the site. Any thoughts on compiling full length videos for sale, to help pay for the site?

That kind of goes against the site principles. There are plenty of pay-for solutions out there. I may accept sponsorship from those who produce paid-for content to help finance the site but if I have one guiding principle, it is that all CADTutor content is free.

What version of Firefox are you using? It looks OK in the latest version (3.5)

Firefox v 3.0.13. I'll get the latest version and try again.

That's weird though, I also have 3.0.13 - and it looks exactly the same in Firefox as in IE :?

I updated to Firefox v 3.5.2, rebooted (new version of Adobe Flash Player was installed) and still get the same results. Still looks fine in IE. Must be something about my machine.

CADtutor it does look great, I also have the problem of not seeing the full screen, but i also wanted to say that the speed is fine i have been helping a friend learn CAD, and when you are just learning you want someone to go slow so they don't miss anything. Thanks for the videos.

...the speed is fine i have been helping a friend learn CAD, and when you are just learning you want someone to go slow so they don't miss anything.

Yes, it did occur to me that the experts on this forum may not be the best judges of the pace for these tutorials. I'll be testing them with my students in 6 weeks time and that may be a better test since they will not have seen AutoCAD before.

Yes, it did occur to me that the experts on this forum may not be the best judges of the pace for these tutorials. I'll be testing them with my students in 6 weeks time and that may be a better test since they will not have seen AutoCAD before.

Expert eh... I feel honoured :D