Problem with "Filling"

Richo

I am pretty new to sketchup, I used it for a TAFE presentation and now i am re-visiting that design and re-doing it, with more precision and detail. I am doing this to help further my skills in the program.

Now I am doing the roof, which is of skillion design, and I am having problems where certain sections of the roof and also the building for that matter, isnt being "filled" like the rest of the house. By filled I mean that when you draw a simple square and you close it of, it turns grey and you and colour it, push-pull it etc. But no matter what I do for these un-filled sections, they arent filling.

So what am i missing? Or what do i need to do to overcome this problem?

Many thanks, oh and if you know the proper terminology for "fill", please post

i expect your lines are not co-planer? with complex designs the junctions can get a bit messy.... does the 'fill' still work elsewhere?

ps - i'd call it 'fill' too.

i expect your lines are not co-planer? with complex designs the junctions can get a bit messy.... does the 'fill' still work elsewhere?

ps - i'd call it 'fill' too.

i do not have a clue if its co-planer. yes the fill is working everywhere else

so if you draw a normal rectangle not touching any geometry it fills, right? if not, this is another problem......

assuming normal fill works -

make sure lines bounding face to be filled are coplanar.

try drawing diagonal lines in - if one triangle fills, problem lies in other one. repeat until you know where problem is.

try deleting and redrawing lines or geometries.

tip: use snap feature (shift) to ensure coplanar lines when drafting. google has great tutorials on youtube on this feature. i use it all the time.

if really bad, try copying lines rather than drawing new ones to ensure they are parallel / coplanar. i.e. if lines A and B join at one end, copy A from one end to the other of B, thus making a rough U shape. copy A to fill the box, or draw a line from the open ends. working like this will ensure more accurate geometry when you start drawing more complex things.

rule: there is always a more simple way to draw what you are doing ... i still find this out all the time! hope this helps. lemme know if you need links to tutorials. google is very good for these.

last point: there are rubies which help this, if you want to go down this route. i use "straylines.rb" available on sketchucation (need to register i think).

Can you post the offending file so we can take a look?

(just change the extension to .txt or .zip and post it here if you wish to share)

Can you post the offending file so we can take a look?

(just change the extension to .txt or .zip and post it here if you wish to share)

here it is, ignore the massive wall missing, after deleting a few lines that wall went missing. I just need to get the skillion to fill.

Also in the middle is the open courtyard, im trying to put a 600 eve on but whenever i draw the line in, the whole thing fills! So what I want to fill doesnt fill, and what i dont want to fill, fills. Frustrating!

What do you reckon guys?

Roof Trouble.zip

Also while I'm here, instead of making a new thread. Once I get this roof sorted and my filling problem fixed, what are some good rendering programs?

I've heard about vray and twlight, and something called kerky. Which one is preferred? I've never used a render program, so I'm unsure on which one

Hi Richo, I have looked over your model and I have some notes:

1. Your entire model is one piece which can cause you trouble fast. Best practice for building a SketchUp model is to make groups or components as you progress. For example, draw your floor surface then make it a group. Draw your walls then make them a group. Then start your roof... etc.

The reason for doing this is so your model is not so "sticky". Meaning that if you touch one piece of geometry it will affect the rest. Keeping geometry separate is key.

2. Your roof surface that is not filling in has a flaw at the lower corner. See first image. There is a line that is 0.1mm off. This is causing your roof to not fill in.

Final tip: in the second image I have attached you will see the Windows Panel (Window/Styles)

If you change your line color to "By Axis" you will be able to see which lines are following the axis and which are not. This can be very helpful if you are not getting geometry to fill in.

Good luck and keep us posted. I hope this helped.

E

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

change your line color to "By Axis" you will be able to see which lines are following the axis and which are not.

this is a great tip Richo! take it and run!

agree you need to use groups - it becomes much easier to manage the model when stuff gets complex.

Hi Richo, I have looked over your model and I have some notes:

1. Your entire model is one piece which can cause you trouble fast. Best practice for building a SketchUp model is to make groups or components as you progress. For example, draw your floor surface then make it a group. Draw your walls then make them a group. Then start your roof... etc.

The reason for doing this is so your model is not so "sticky". Meaning that if you touch one piece of geometry it will affect the rest. Keeping geometry separate is key.

2. Your roof surface that is not filling in has a flaw at the lower corner. See first image. There is a line that is 0.1mm off. This is causing your roof to not fill in.

Final tip: in the second image I have attached you will see the Windows Panel (Window/Styles)

If you change your line color to "By Axis" you will be able to see which lines are following the axis and which are not. This can be very helpful if you are not getting geometry to fill in.

Good luck and keep us posted. I hope this helped.

E

im going to re-do my model using your advice, thankyou for that

so i decided to re-do my model, and tried making components and groups, but for some reason if i made the floor outline a group, when i went to select it, it would only select the line i clicked on, not the entire floor. so i gave up trying to do it.

now im back to the roof, ive got it almost done, just the whole roof won't fill. ill check it for any minor defects but at the moment i cant see any.

sounds like you need to watch some youtube tutorials - google has some good ones. groups are a very good way to control your drawing. as for the specific problem, i don't know what's up. make sure when you make the group, all the geometry you want is selected.

show us your new model if you like......

sounds like you need to watch some youtube tutorials - google has some good ones. groups are a very good way to control your drawing. as for the specific problem, i don't know what's up. make sure when you make the group, all the geometry you want is selected.

show us your new model if you like......

i probably should do that, thanks

here is my new model, if someone could help determine why the roof isn't filling and then help me understand why and allow me to fill it, very much appreicated! Last model boofredlay saw that i was 0.1mm off the mark, maybe the same here? But if that's true, i dont know how i do that because I always snap to the end of lines, when the green dots come up, and ive gone around the outline to make sure of it several times.

Maybe my inexperience is showing and i need some experience eyes on the job. but much appreication will be shown

New Model.zip

as i think i mentioned before, sometimes the 'snap' function is not enough. for a start your shape may not be filling because it is not flat (this is why i recommended you copy lines - to ensure they are parallel).

also hover over a line you want to be parallel to, and your line will go magenta to show it is parallel. hold shift and it will lock parallel. then click where you want it to end. it may not snap to the end (if your lines were not drawn right) but it will be parallel. no skp on this computer, but will look later.

i just found a way to overcome my fill problem.

it would fill but there would be lines showing, and when i go to delete the lines that arent meant to be visible on the roof, the whole fill would dissappear.

then i thought of autocad and layers, and how you can hide layers. so i went to make the lines i dont want visible into a layer to hide them, then i saw a option where you click "Hidden", and i did that, and the fill remained and the lines dissappeared.

i know this isnt probably the best way to do it, but as i learn more about the program i wont have to sort of "cheat" my way

instead of making a new thread, thought id just post another problem i am experiencing.

im using V-Ray for sketchup for my rendering, and at the moment I'm just playing around with it, not really changing settings or anything just yet. Just want to see how my model is looking with a generic render.

The problem I have came across is this, for example my external cladding is the material "Cladding Board Batten Siding" which is a redish colour. Now for my design, I wanted that look but in a more timber colour, so I changed the colour to a light brown. In the model it looks great, just how I want it. The problem occurs when i go to render it. Instead of it coming up as the brownish colour, it renders as the original redish colour! Why is that? How do I fix it so it comes up with the colour I want? It is doing the same for my roof as well, and I am guessing it will do the same for every material I alter the colour for.

• 2 weeks later...

Richo,

I just checked your roof and you do indeed have a line off that's causing the fill to fail. See attachment.

Here's how you fix it:

Lock your original model. Take your horizontal line and copy it then paste it to all of the old horizontal spots. Take a copy of one angled line and paste it in all of the old angled spots. If any lines come up to short copy and paste the line. DO NOT try and connect with your pencil tool. Remove excess lines. Fill. Done.

New Model - SketchUp.jpg