Favorite AutoCAD Version

CADMASTER1128

R14.01 was fast, stable, ran in Windows, about at bulletproof as they came...

Of course trying to use it today is a chore, after you are used to some of the features introduced over the last 12 years that are missing from R14...

The largest gap in available features was probably R11>R12.

Although I use 2008 for modelling and rendering, I still use 2004 for 2d drafting (which is 90% of my office's work).

However, I have good memories from R14 (solid as a rock!), and I don't want to see again R12...

My favorite version is whichever version finally lets me create 3D dynamic blocks with more than one visibility state. Barring that, I do prefer 08 to 09. Haven't been able to use 2010 until we can use it with HSBcad.

I looked onto the 2010 Architecture today. Architecture 2008 still will be my favorite version.

R14.01 was fast, stable, ran in Windows, about at bulletproof as they came...

Of course trying to use it today is a chore, after you are used to some of the features introduced over the last 12 years that are missing from R14...

The largest gap in available features was probably R11>R12.

I feel that 2008 is the modern 2004. Very stable, at least for me it is. Great 2D tools, bug fixes from 2004, 04, 06 & 07, new tools and very fast in XP.

2004 was a great, solid AutoCAD version. I liked it best for awhile, even getting into 2006 I still loved 2004. 2007 was good but my heart was and still is set on 2008. 2008 was a great, stable version as well, then they had to go and change things in '09 and up. Having said that I do like where AutoCAD is going though so I don't wanna knock it too much - except for the Ribbons. The Ribbon is a joke for speedy cadder's. :)

Which of course led me to this latest poll...regarding the ribbon...

http://cadpanacea.com/node/167

I just saw the results of your poll. The results are a little surprising unless everyone using ACAD 09 are setting their workspaces to AutoCAD Classic. Which is what I did, I tried to change 2010 but I was unable to find the feature.

I just saw the results of your poll. The results are a little surprising unless everyone using ACAD 09 are setting their workspaces to AutoCAD Classic. Which is what I did, I tried to change 2010 but I was unable to find the feature.

That's exactly what I did as well. I loved 08 but hated the new ribbon in 2010. You can switch back to autocad classic in 2010 using the "WORKSPACE" command. My 2010 looks just like my 08 version but with the nice new constraints tool bars. Sweet!!!

KC

That's exactly what I did as well. I loved 08 but hated the new ribbon in 2010. You can switch back to autocad classic in 2010 using the "WORKSPACE" command. My 2010 looks just like my 08 version but with the nice new constraints tool bars. Sweet!!!

KC

WORKSPACE command? Hmmm, just what I am getting ready to open!

my fav. would be pencil. just joking.....

acad 02.. this last november, its the version i first used..... and ugraded to 09 on jan 2009:D

so my fav. is acad 02 version.. i miss using it...

my fav. would be pencil. just joking.....

acad 02.. this last november, its the version i first used..... and ugraded to 09 on jan 2009:D

so my fav. is acad 02 version.. i miss using it...

I hate using a pencil to draw, but that is just me. I hate how the teacher thinks we need to learn this "dying art"

I hate using a pencil to draw, but that is just me. I hate how the teacher thinks we need to learn this "dying art"

:huh: Dying art? :? I can see you've got a lot to learn about design. :roll:

Every one of my projects starts out on paper with hand sketches. It's much easier and faster to rough out some design ideas on paper, then once I get the basic layout dialed in, I scan it and drop it into Autocad to trace over.

Every class I've taken and every training video I've ever watched has stressed the importance of being able to sketch out your ideas before jumping on the computer. And every designer I know, has a drafting table in their office. Don't write this off as unimportant. Do yourself a favor and learn how to draw. It will make you a better designer.

:huh: Dying art? :? I can see you've got a lot to learn about design. :roll:

Every one of my projects starts out on paper with hand sketches. It's much easier and faster to rough out some design ideas on paper, then once I get the basic layout dialed in, I scan it and drop it into Autocad to trace over.

Every class I've taken and every training video I've ever watched has stressed the importance of being able to sketch out your ideas before jumping on the computer. And every designer I know, has a drafting table in their office. Don't write this off as unimportant. Do yourself a favor and learn how to draw. It will make you a better designer.

Don't get me wrong, I hand sketch all the time when I am starting new project. In fact The only thing I don't like is draw a full floor plan (Dimensions, details, elevations) using a pencil. I love to sketch and always keep a sketch pad here at my desk. Even when I travel. I get ideas from other buildings. I should have been more clear about "the dying art."

i miss the old drawing board.

it come in handy when training someone up as a draughtsman.

Everything has to be setout in the head before dimensioning for clarity purposes. some people get to carried away with just moving the dimension when some one asks. It should be done correctly in the 1st place.

The old drawingboard can help eliminate that

Using R12 with a properly customised tablet was the best if Windows 95 hadn't come along.

After that R14 with a decent customised menu is my overall favourite. I've still got a dongle somewhere!

When the power finally goes out we'll all be back to pencils/pens, triangles and straightedges. You'll be using your computer and monitor to hold down the vellum or mylar. LOL