Can I use the same project setup for both ACA and MEP?

miroslav_s

I have started a project for my house in Autocad Architecture. The plan is to make a drawing of my house in ACA and have every detail of the house in this project. This includes beside the architectural part even everything regarding ventilation, electrical, heating, plumbing etc.

To my question:

1. When I want to use Autocad MEP to make vent., el., heat., plumb., drawings is it “the right way” to use the same project I use in ACA or do I have to create a new one. If I can use the same project (it would be logical) then I guess I only need to create new constructs where I will draw my ventilation, heating system (separately of course) and use xref to import my floor levels, right?

2. In ACA project I made separate constructs for each floor level. Do I need to make also separate constructs in MEP for each level or can I use one constructs to draw the whole ventilation system for the house? If I do it the same way like in ACA then I just wonder how the ventilation system will make the “connections” between levels if you understand what I mean.

Jesus, I hope I was clear enough with my questions 

Best regards to you all and of course thanks in advance,

M

• 2 weeks later...

1. You can place them in the same project. Just make sure that you use a MEP template when you are drawing your MEP systems.

2. If its a small job you can place them in the same file but I would recommend placing them in separate files. This will allow your tags to elevate based on the level that the installer is standing on when installing the duct. For instance, if you use the same file for all levels, all elevations will be based off the 0 elevation of the drawing which will be the first floor and not necessarily the 2nd, 3rd, or basement level. There are ways around this with property sets but this is not for the beginner. MEP items will connect across xrefs if all drawings are brought into a 'view' drawing.

Hope this helps.

Copy that.

Thank you KeithBrown!

1. You can place them in the same project. Just make sure that you use a MEP template when you are drawing your MEP systems.

2. If its a small job you can place them in the same file but I would recommend placing them in separate files. This will allow your tags to elevate based on the level that the installer is standing on when installing the duct. For instance, if you use the same file for all levels, all elevations will be based off the 0 elevation of the drawing which will be the first floor and not necessarily the 2nd, 3rd, or basement level. There are ways around this with property sets but this is not for the beginner. MEP items will connect across xrefs if all drawings are brought into a 'view' drawing.

Hope this helps.