Filtering 3d solids

JamesBorubar

After paying the 5 bucks ;-) .. i am using this app for some time now

He seems to have fixed the returning activation /wating menu.

This works really good for 3d purposes imo.

Check this out.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesBorubar

• halam

• ReMark

• AVC

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. I just registered here. I am the author of the program mentioned above. I recommend downloading plugins from my site and not using the Autodesk store. The Autodesk store always has old versions of programs because there is a very long moderation.

On this topic, I want to say that I have been trying to create an optimal algorithm for searching identical solids for more than ten years. This problem is not trivial. You can not choose the same solids based on their volume. Too much chance of coincidence. In addition, the Autocad has large errors in calculations and can calculate a different volume for one solid if it is slightly rotated. This is especially noticeable on solids based on splines. Therefore, in my plug-ins I first lay out the details in the XY plane, then measure the volume, then I check the displacement of the center of gravity (asymmetry). But even such an algorithm does not give a 100% guarantee.

Good to know the details how it behaves on 3d volume Alexandr

Nothing is perfect, even though it runs on AutoCAD;-)

Personally, I never trust computer 100% and check the outcome.

What can you say if, for instance, area or perimeter is used,

Is this something that is used in a 'none alogaritmic matter'?

Regards hans

area or perimeter is used

Perimeter and area will be subject to the same problems as volume. And I think there will not be much difference in computing speed. However, the combination of area and volume will yield fewer false coincidences.

For example, I just encountered problematic details. The details are identical, but the holes are slightly moved in them. In no way is it possible to specify that these are different details. The volume, perimeter, area - all are identical. My algorithm calculates a slightly different parameter "asymmetry", but it does not save because it too similar to the error of calculations. Of course this is a very rare case, but it sometimes happens.

There are 2 ways to solve this problem -

1. Complete analysis of bRep

2. Partial analysis of bRep (only to find the reference face), rotate in the same way, and subtraction of one solid from the other.

But everyone understands how long this will work if it is necessary to subtract the solids many thousands of times....

So far I just ignore such cases. I tell guys from my team the Russian saying: "Doveray, no proveray!" (Trust him but check him!)

• 4 weeks later...